Nelson-Rigg CL-135 Touring Tank Bag (Tripple Threat System)

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 RT
2024 Miles
The Nelson-Rigg company sent me this tank bag to review on the site and I agreed as long as I could use it as a giveaway for the 2010 NatSTOC event.

I am posting my initial impressions of this bag.

• Quality - This is a very nice bag, all the seams and zippers are
    nice and I don't see any weak point from that aspect.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There's event a plastic stiffener included to put in the front of the bag to
    help keep it's shape.

attachment.php
  • Versatility - The optional 3 (Triple Threat) types of attachment
    connections were sent with this bag - sold separately - and provide 3
    different ways to attach the bag to the bike. They are the magnetic, hook
    and suction cup mounting systems.
    attachment.php

The basic bag comes with typical strap mounts inside.
  • Mounting - The mounting points are hidden nicely behind some
    vencro and piviot out.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

For the ST1300, I used the magnetic mounting attachments.

attachment.php

The interesting part of the attachment points 'swiveling' is you can use the
    magnets to position them just about anywhere on the tank.

attachment.php
  • Other - The rain cover on this thing is exceptional, it's a much more
    substantial than some of the other tank bag rain covers I've seen and it's
    also expandable to match the tank bag when expanded.
    attachment.php

attachment.php

Overall, this is a very nice bag with a versatile mounting system and more than
    adequate storage space.

You can purchase the bag and see more about it and the other CL bags that utilize the Triple Thread mounting system at the Neson-Rigg site:
    http://nelsonrigg.com/store/

Joe: How does this bag fit regarding bar to bar steering? Too Big? Just rite? I'm looking at this model or the mini.

Gary

Gary, pretty much any bag other than the very small ones are going to hit the horn button... If that's what you're talking about.

As far as turning though, it's fine. I have the bag in the picture as far back as you'd want it. Also, I've seen some riders turn the bags around so the tapered end is towards the handlebars.

Joe,

If you don't mind, bring this to coffee tomorrow night. I'm in the market for a new bag. I like the features of this bag and the price point looks great on this one.

Not sure about those magnet mounts though. Do they seem pretty secure?

Pete

Thanks Joe. Mostly what I'm concerned about is whether the bag will interfere with my hand or arm while riding.
BTW... see you at NatSTOC!!!!

Gary

Sure, I'll bring it. The magnets are pretty strong. I know some have had tankbags blow off in strong wind. I don't know that this would be any different.

I didn't try it but the hook system might actually be more secure from that aspect.

Thanks Joe. Mostly what I'm concerned about is whether the bag will interfere with my hand or arm while riding.
BTW... see you at NatSTOC!!!!

Gary

No, I don't believe so. I can access all my controls and it's not so wide that it would touch your arms at all.

Mr Joe, how would you rate the suction cup mount? I don't like the strap mount and the ST1100 has a plastic "tank" ans adding magnet/metal plates inside the cover is my last resort solution.

Mr Joe, how would you rate the suction cup mount? I don't like the strap mount and the ST1100 has a plastic "tank" ans adding magnet/metal plates inside the cover is my last resort solution.

I did open up that package and put one on the tank (metal) and saddlebag (plastic) and they seems to hold just fine. It's kinda hard to evaluate that without going on a multi-day ride. Initially, I'd say there is adequate holding force there to keep the bag on the bike.

Are there places where the hook system could be used? To me, that appears to be as secure as straps.

Joe,
Can I impose upon you to take a "rider's view" photo with this bag mounted on your bike? By that I mean a shot from the P.O.V. of a rider when sitting on the bike, (and not too close please).

And I am wondering how easily it is used in "backpack" mode, as listed on the company website.

Sure, here ya go.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that part.

There are two shoulder straps included.

There are 3 D-rings, I assume the single D-ring is the top when using it as a back pack and the two would be the bottom. Hope that helps.

[*] Other - The rain cover on this thing is exceptional, it's a much more
substantial than some of the other tank bag rain covers I've seen and it's
also expandable to match the tank bag when expanded.

Why is it that tankbag rain covers do NOT come with a see-thru window for the map case?:think1:

Why is it that tankbag rain covers do NOT come with a see-thru window for the map case?:think1:

After owning a jeep, I can tell you if it did come with a see-thru section it probably wouldn't be very useful after folding it up when not in use... it would be hard to keep it from getting scratched or bent/folded/crumpled.

But, would be a good idea.

In the past, Nelson Riggs rain covers used to have a clear panel. I'm not sure why they gave it up.

Just like Joe said, once the clear PVC gets folded a few times they start to get white or yellow marks and cause the map to become almost unreadable. Some miss it most don't. But thanks for the head up. We are always looking for ways to improve on our products.

Just like Joe said, once the clear PVC gets folded a few times they start to get white or yellow marks and cause the map to become almost unreadable. Some miss it most don't. But thanks for the head up. We are always looking for ways to improve on our products.

Understandable reasoning.

Perhaps having a completely waterproof map pouch that could alternatively be attached to either the tankbag or the rain cover. Such as, taking off on a ride with the map pouch attached to the tank bag. Upon hitting rain, remove map pouch, install rain cover, reattach map pouch to rain cover.

Edit: apologies.....this was off topic from the review.......I'll send my suggestions in email form. :D

The tankbag I have came with a solid cover, and I had my wife sew in a clear window so I could see my GPS when I was traveling and it was raining.

I still need to put a bead of silcon around the edge, but when I tested it (got caught in the rain) it wasn't leaking. But I was able to see my GPS! :woo (yes, my GPS is mounted in the clear map case. :clap2:

I understand about the PVC getting ugly, but I would think that is usually due to the sun beating down on it verse sitting in the pocket. But I will keep an eye on mine and see what happens to it over time.

The tankbag I have came with a solid cover, and I had my wife sew in a clear window so I could see my GPS when I was traveling and it was raining.

Have you tried that on a hot day. Put my phone under that plastic one time and when I took it out, the battery was dead and the phone was so hot I couldn't touch it. I'm assuming some sort of greenhouse effect.

Thanks again for the review Joe, glad you liked the bag.

Just so you all know, every tank bags using the triple threat system comes with a strap mount kit. The magnet/suction cup/tail pack kit are sold separately.
Joe if you have a chance to show how this same bag can be used as a tail pack with the strap and hook kit, that would be great.

Here is a quick video tutorial of how the triple threat system works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxCWNh3XWTw&feature=player_embedded

Have you tried that on a hot day. Put my phone under that plastic one time and when I took it out, the battery was dead and the phone was so hot I couldn't touch it. I'm assuming some sort of greenhouse effect.

I've had the GPS in there now since 2008 and have not had issues with the heat. With my first GPS (that I took back because I couldn't directly connect it to the bike's power without a lot of trouble,) I did cut some cool holes in the cover until I realized it wasn't the heat, but battery is why it died on me. Since getting the Garmin, I haven't had any issues. It's great having it..it also plays mp3 which I listen to. :hat1:

I have been looking for feedback on the magnetic mounting systems that tank bags use...I am very worried that movement on the road and dust will get underneath the magnetic pads and scratch the finish on the tank. I like this N-R bag but I am worried...

Same for the suction cups possibly moving slightly (you bump it or a wind gust whacks it)...

What's the truth on these damaging the finish on the bike? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom