Vista Cruise Throttle Lock...

Jefro

I ride to Sturgis
I did several searches and found kinda spotty info on the Vista Cruise, and didn't see any model numbers. So I decided to post my installation and photos as a reference for others.

I bought the Vista Cruise model #07-4045, Fits most Hondas with dual cables.
After looking at the crappy directions on the back of the package, I quickly realized that the little foot that is supposed to go between the cables doesn't even come close to fitting. And even if it did, the thumb lever would be in my way in the down location, right where my thumb normally is.

I decided that I wanted the thumb lever to be fixed in an upper location out of the way. So the foot had to go.
So I took the hacksaw to it, and after blowing the grip off with my air compressor, I did a test fit of the Vista around the throttle pipe. It was a little tight, so I used a round file to open the hole a bit.
I tried locking and unlocking the Vista and decided to file a bit more till the spring pressure felt snug.
After this minor adjustment, I placed it against the switch housing and quickly discovered the housing is not flat, but forced the Vista into an awkward unusable angle. So I made a 1/16 inch plastic spacer that fit between the inside of the Vista bracket and the lower side of the housing. This made the Vista sit correctly.
So when I cut off the foot, I should have left about 1/16 inch of it sticking out to act as a spacer for proper vertical alignment. You can see my drawing that shows what I'm talking about.
Now I just had to drill a countersunk hole in the Vista bracket to fit a #6x1/2 inch stainless oval head philips screw. Then I positioned the Vista bracket at about 6 o'clock next to the starter switch. I made a punch mark on the side of the housing and drilled a small pilot hole for the screw. Don't worry, there is nothing inside the housing in this area, just a large gap for the throttle pipe to rotate in.
After tightening the screw, I played with the Vista adjustment key to allow the throttle to hold snug while the thumb lever is engaged. Works good.
I used the air compressor to blow the grip back on, and put on the bar end weight. But I found I needed to make a 1/4 inch thick nylon spacer to move the bar end out farther, due to the grip now being about 1/4 inch farther away from the switch housing. I used a 3/4 inch diameter spacer with a 1/4 inch hole in the middle, and then had to use the hacksaw to cut a half moon on each side to fit the half moon configuration inside the bar and the bar end weight.
The photos show the foot spacing, vertical orientation, the screw location and the spacer I made.
I may whittle on the thumb lever a bit to make it smaller, but overall I'm happy with how the Vista Cruise works.
Jefro.

Attachments

Top Bottom