1100 battery

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Hi guys
I just today bought a Yuasa YTX14-BS Honda part number 31500-HA7-678 battery for the Plod Pan
There are NO instructions with it at all. Poor show really I think.
My local dealer gave me a run through of what to do. As follows (condensed) Apply acid pack leave seal off battery for at least 30 mins. If you seal it for life before that you will lessen the life of the battery. It will have 85% power at that point. If your going to start and run the bike as soon as fitted your fine if not...put the optimiser on it for at least an hour. Then it will be at full charge. And start the bike the following day and let run up to temp before you take the bike out. Now all I'm asking is good or bad instructions from the dealer???
cheers
Paul

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Paul,

I used Joe's 'slow' method on the battery I installed and have had no problems.

Mark
P.S.
I don't think your battery deal has a long life for your battery 1st in his mind... he might want you back in for another battery!

OP
OP
alphafang
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Thanks guys
I pulled back the Japanese sticker on the top and low and behold instructions. Still not great though.
Hey Mark don't be so cynical mate.....lol...he was doing his best....By the way hows the studies coming on??
Cheers
Paul

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
:)

I'm done with everything (except buying uniforms, supplies, books and moving;) ) for my June 9th start.

:D

Mark

STOC #
Install the acid per instructions. Leave the cap off and let it sit for at least two hours before doing anything.

Put the cap on, or at least sit it on top but don't press it into place.

Do NOT use the battery for anything. Most especially to start the bike. Doing so will help lock the battery into a permanent, incomplete state of charge. Besides, you'd have to run the bike for a long time to bring the battery up to full charge. And you don't want to use the battery, period, so you'd have to figure out some other way of starting the bike and then hooking the battery up to it. So, the initial charge cannot and should not be done by the bike. For numerous reasons.

Put the battery on a slow charge per manufacturer's instructions. I use a Battery Tender and at a slow charge, it takes a good 8 hours or overnight to assure a complete charge.

After the battery is taken off the charger, let it sit a minimum of 2 hours before checking the voltage. If you measure it immediately, you'll get an artificially high reading. After 2 hours, it should read about 12.8 or 12.9. At that point, simply install it and go for a ride.

Last edited:
Top Bottom