1100 tip-over bars?

number9

Not that I know of. There'd be no (clean) place to mount them on the 1100 that I can think of. It's got the engine crash bars - I can't remember, why was the tip-over bars designed for the 1300 anyway? does the bags still hit the ground if the bike is resting on the engine crash bars?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Not that I know of. There'd be no (clean) place to mount them on the 1100 that I can think of. It's got the engine crash bars - I can't remember, why was the tip-over bars designed for the 1300 anyway? does the bags still hit the ground if the bike is resting on the engine crash bars?

In extreme cases the bag will hit the ground. By extreme, really, just anything more than your typical tip-over.

There are quite a few guys here with scratched saddlebags and quite a few that have said they don't have scratched saddlebags due to them.

It's just one of those preference sort of things.. LOL

Jason, perhaps what you need are a set of knobbies on that ST? Where is that picture anyway?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've tried to envision where to mount a rear tip over bar on the 1100..... but just don't see a good attachment point.
Thats' the problem... an option might be to cut holes in the plastic to get to mounting points behind the plastic but that's a lot of work and not many would want to cut into that area.

number9

In extreme cases the bag will hit the ground. By extreme, really, just anything more than your typical tip-over.

There are quite a few guys here with scratched saddlebags and quite a few that have said they don't have scratched saddlebags due to them.

It's just one of those preference sort of things.. LOL

Jason, perhaps what you need are a set of knobbies on that ST? Where is that picture anyway?

Ah, I got ya. I always thought they looked like they might bend back into the bags in a real crash - parking lot tip over protection looked fine though. But I don't have a 1300 and have never really looked at them other than glancing at a picture, so what do I know :shrug1:

One thing that always kinda bugged me was that some people seem to think that Honda put the crash bars (tip over wings) or as they are called on the parts fiche, GUARD, L/R ENGINE, on the bike to save the plastic from getting damaged in a tip over. Not true - they are there to protect the cylinder heads/valve covers of the V-4 engine that is oriented with the cylinders out to the side. The fact that they happen to protect your plastic is a bonus. Yet people seem to wonder why other bikes (FJR, RT, Connie, etc..) don't have them - well, cause they are an inline-4 and don't need them to protect the cylinder heads. That I know of, no other bike Honda makes besides the ST1100 and 1300 has these tip over bars ....... and no other Honda I know of has a V-twin or V-4 in the same orientation as the ST. :!: :p:

As far as knobbies Joe, I have actually thought about getting a set of dual-sport type tires for the FZ1 and riding some of the Trans-American Trail with it..............the ST would just be too heavy and sink in the soft stuff............. picture :confused: not sure what picture you're talking about Joe ;) :D

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Ah, I got ya. I always thought they looked like they might bend back into the bags in a real crash - parking lot tip over protection looked fine though. But I don't have a 1300 and have never really looked at them other than glancing at a picture, so what do I know :shrug1:

One thing that always kinda bugged me was that some people seem to think that Honda put the crash bars (tip over wings) or as they are called on the parts fiche, GUARD, L/R ENGINE, on the bike to save the plastic from getting damaged in a tip over. Not true - they are there to protect the cylinder heads/valve covers of the V-4 engine that is oriented with the cylinders out to the side. The fact that they happen to protect your plastic is a bonus. Yet people seem to wonder why other bikes (FJR, RT, Connie, etc..) don't have them - well, cause they are an inline-4 and don't need them to protect the cylinder heads. That I know of, no other bike Honda makes besides the ST1100 and 1300 has these tip over bars ....... and no other Honda I know of has a V-twin or V-4 in the same orientation as the ST. :!: :p:

As far as knobbies Joe, I have actually thought about getting a set of dual-sport type tires for the FZ1 and riding some of the Trans-American Trail with it..............the ST would just be too heavy and sink in the soft stuff............. picture :confused: not sure what picture you're talking about Joe ;) :D

Yeah right... LOL

The wing also has the engine guards to protect the cylinder heads. Lots of boxer BMWs don't come with anything to protect the heads..

FZ1 on the Trans-Am trail... that's great!

Bike
None
STOC #

UNBELIEVABLE!:hat1:

Only one other Honda model that I know of used that configuration: the old CX (?) models with the V-Twin and shaft drive! (They even made them the 1st silverwings and turbocharged some too!!):-D

STOC #
We talked about them at the iron horse last year. I bent some wiring tubes to try to find a good model, the problem I ran into was the bending moment with poor rear support. actually bent something that wound up looking a lot like a uni-go trailer hitch ( I had never seen one until the one on E-bay the other day.) Came up with a double rail job on each side to reduce the bending moment but was still getting to much scaled bend. Added a piece that came a little forward but bugged both of my feet on the pegs. So simple and strong did not work. I have no desire to build a cruiser crash bar with big chrome tubes so ...To make a long story short I have about 100 ft of bent tubing hanging in my garage that I need to throw away but look at when I am in the garage and try to figure a better way. Did not want to drill into the tupperware on my bike but may take it off and see where I could mount.
If some one has an idea let me know and I will bend some more and test it. It is actually fun to try to solve the problem and playing with all the school stuff I endured.

juddspaintballs

Dual Sport Touring
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
STOC #
While I like the idea of crash bars to protect our bags and/or mirrors, I realistically see hardly anywhere we could support the bars on the back of the bike. I would like if we could come up with something though. I'd rather replace a couple hundred dollars worth of bent metal than a pannier in a very special SSM color.

I've been down twice now, once on both sides. Ice tossed me on my left side and snow tossed me on my right side. The left side spill was just after taking off from a stop, so <5mph. The right side spill was while trying to stop from about 20mph, so lets call it about 10-15mph when I fell. In both cases, my bags and tip over wings hit the ground. My left bag suffered hardly even a scrape since the center stand protected it. My right bag got a good rash on the bottom, but you can't tell unless you take it off or look under it.

This leads me to believe that perhaps we could come up with something similar to the centerstand to protect our bags. The centerstand protected the left side fairly well, while the right side got the brunt of the fall on the wing and the bag. Perhaps something coming from up underneath the exhaust and connecting to the front bolt hole that the police crash bars are connected to (the exhaust hanger I believe). Just something that sticks out and up to basically cover up the mufflers and rest just below the bags. If you tip your bike over, you'd see that this would actually protect the bag from a pretty good fall. Anything more spectacular than that, and you'd have more to worry about than your panniers.

...just a thought. I'll eyeball it in the morning

number9

Keep in mind something like that would likely drag the pavement in a good lean. If it levered the rear tire off the ground you'd be replacing more than a saddlebag lid. FWIW, when I bought a new saddlebag lid, it was about $260-ish.

Top Bottom