1970 Triumph Tiger 650

hojo70

Friend To All Bikers
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Found a Tiger 650 in Florida - they appear to be fairly rare finds since I generally see vintage Bonnevilles on the market. This one needs a lot of work but it was only $1800 (good find or did I get raped?). Had it shipped up here to Ohio and just got it today.

The original owner chopped and bobbed the poor thing but I see that Walridge in Canada appears to have every single aftermarket part I would ever need to get it back looking mostly original (for a price!). It has matching numbers, freshly rebuilt carburetor and the engine only has 13k - I am told runs well but needs a new battery. He also recently painted it blue but I'll be repainting it to the original factory color at some point. I've never worked on Triumphs before (just Japs) so this should be both fun and interesting!

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Decent price and the bike looks pretty solid. A really nice one will bring $5-$7K. Looks like with a little work you will have a nice classic ride. Kepp it as close to stock as you can and it will retain its value.

Dna

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Looks like a great find to me. I owned two 500cc Triumph T100's, a 1960 and a 1964. I enjoyed the heck out of them.

Along in that era was a 650cc Thunderbird, which was very much like the Bonnie, but it had an extended rear fender which was supposed to improve the aerodynamics of the bike, but unfortunately, the air cleaner stuck thru it and was exposed to the dirt from the rear tire, causing premature engine failure. I would check the compression.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
That one has TT pipes on it. I can't tell if it has 2 carbs or 1. If it has 2, it could very well have been a TT. You'll have to get a new tool kit if you don't already have Whitworth tools. Not metric, not American.

Silver Bullet

Retired
Bike
2020 Tracer 900 GT
Looks like a decent bike and a good project too ! The electrics and ignitions are a trouble point on the early Britt bikes , just so you know , good luck !

:slv13: MIKE

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Ah, yes, the joy of owning Whitworth tools. I still have a few left. While I was building my collection, all the Brit sports car guys were always borrowing mine.

Half of mine went to people who were only going to borrow them overnight...

This is why I no longer lend tools or books. (How to lose friends and inconvenience people).

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
That is one sweet looking ride. It reminds me of one a buddy of mine had back in our high school days that we road all over California without a drivers license. Good luck on the bike and please keep us updated on the work you have done.

:usflag1:

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
$1800.00 for a 1970 Triumph Tiger??? There are people over here who would tear your arm off for that!!!! That's a fantastic find at a great price!!!

Restore, ride and enjoy :D

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I had a friend who rode one of those back in the mid 70's, and raced desert with it!

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I had one of those once. I flew to London in the summer of 1970 during one of those "college go to Europe and live on bread and cheese in hostels" summers. I wanted to buy a Mini Cooper, but I couldn't even afford a Mini. I saw this Triumph Bonneville glistening in the London street light and knew that was the way to go. I didn't realize that it was glistening because of rain drops...but that's another story. I found a dealer way out in the suburbs that had bikes, but no Bonnevilles. A lime green 650 Trophy single carb was it...for $840 brand new. The shift was right foot with a kick start, but what did I know, it was my first bike.
Not wanting to stall it in front of all the dealership's employees who'd come out to see the American off on his trip, I gave it too much gas and almost did a wheelie. I was so blown away by that, that it was almost five blocks before it dawned on me...I'm in England and I should be driving over on THAT side of the street. That drizzly evening driving back into downtown London, I learned all sorts of lessons about wet cobblestones, streetcar tracks, and round-abouts.
I ended up having it in Minnesota and selling it four years later for $1000. I never had any problems, electrical or otherwise. I think the Tiger was the American designation for the European Trophy.

John

Attachments

Bike
'09 ST1300A
British Cycle in Nova Scotia has pretty much everything you'll need also. Lots of NOS, etc. also a place in PA (I think) that does engine work and/or full rebuilds. Also make sure you have your funky s/n with you at all times...some parts can change in the same year of manufacture. Maybe they got that fixed up by your model year. Enjoy!

OP
OP
hojo70

hojo70

Friend To All Bikers
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I think the Tiger was the American designation for the European Trophy.

After further inspection the motor stamp designates it as a TR6C, which I believe is a Trophy - not a Tiger (TR6R). The difference (as I understand it) appears to be that it was probably designed as a "scrambler" and originally came with a high-mounted dual exhaust on the left side and transmission drive ratios that are slightly geared differently for occasional off-roading. Regardless, I will be restoring it as a Tiger though with the classic pea-shooter exhausts.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #
After further inspection the motor stamp designates it as a TR6C, which I believe is a Trophy - not a Tiger (TR6R). The difference (as I understand it) appears to be that it was probably designed as a "scrambler" and originally came with a high-mounted dual exhaust on the left side and transmission drive ratios that are slightly geared differently for occasional off-roading. Regardless, I will be restoring it as a Tiger though with the classic pea-shooter exhausts.
I had a '67 Tr6C and it definately had the high mounted pipes on the left.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
sniff I wish I still had my 72 Tiger. It was my first bike. I was just a little big for it but I loved it all the same. One kick and no leaks. Really. ;>)

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Have fun with that Tiger. One of my local friends has a 650 Daytona that he restored, a '65 I believe, although he put disc brakes from a later model on it. Definitely a labor of love!

OP
OP
hojo70

hojo70

Friend To All Bikers
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
To those who might be interested in how this project turned out - its finally done after a year and a half. I'll send better pictures later but here it is:

After.jpg

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Cool, every time I see something like this I kick myself for hacking my 72 Tiger and putting in in a hard tail frame.
Nice!

Top Bottom