1994 ST1100 ABS Brake Modulator Failure?

My 1994 ST1100 ABS-TCS is giving a code that translates to a limit switch failure in the front ABS brake modulator. The rear modulator is okay. The ABS on this model is not linked as on later models.

My dealer says that Honda has told him that the unit is "not servicable" and would need to be replaced as a unit.

I am looking for a used replacement part or info on shops that can service the part. The part number is 57600-MY3-782. Any leads would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jack Flaherty
STOC 808

At $1,200 for a new one, I can certainly see why you're looking for a repair or replacement. Honda doesn't make individual replacement parts available for the modulators, and I doubt anyone does repair work on them. Even if there was, I wouldn't trust anyone but the manufacturer. That pretty much leaves your choices at a new one or one from a salvaged bike.

There's a pretty extensive troubleshooting guide in the service manual that will help your dealer pinpoint whether it's actually the limit switch of some other problem like a connector gone bad. Has that been done, or is the dealer basing his diagnosis just on the code?

--Mark

Yeah, what Brlfl said. I haven't a clue:) I just want you to know that there are some better used units out there (Try Freestyle Don, first) and some peeps around here that know their stuff on these things.

Are you a member at STRiders? There are some people there with serious expertise on the first generation ABS. Really good people, too.

Thanks for the replies (and the looks) so far. I am a member of The List and have cross posted there. The dealer has followed the troubleshooting guide and even tapped it a few times trying to loosen things up. Before we replace anything I intend to give the old unit a good shake, just in case.

The part is made by Nissin, I believe, and may be similar to what Honda used in cars in the early 1990's (last century!).

Thanks again.

Jack Flaherty
STOC 808

How did you make out with the modulator problem?

If it is not solved, check My-Mc where we have been posting a huge amount of information on the ABS1 modulator. I have been repairing the ABS1 modules should you wish to ship one for inspection.

Norm

Back
Top Bottom