$2 fork oil tool

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I was rebuilding my forks this weekend and upgrading to some Sonic springs. One of the issues when rebuilding /servicing forks is setting the oil level. Lots of ideals, expensive tools and workarounds.

Well little did I know that Harbor Freight has a fork level oil tool, adjustable, but already preset for 128mm. Just the right height for Sonics. It is adjustable from 145mm to 0.

Harbor Freight sells it for $2, so I can't argue with the price.

You wont find it listed under forks or oil. They prefer to call it Battery Filler bulb
image_12763.jpeg

Once I finish the fork job, it'll probably earn a second life pulling the dirty fluid out of my clutch and brake reservoirs. I love a tool that can multitask.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
You could also easily make a fork oil level "tool" by using a thin piece of wood to make a dipstick, well cleaned of any loose slivers and such. Mark the required length of the fork oil height from the top on the stick and add oil gradually until the dipstick shows oil touch it.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
You could also easily make a fork oil level "tool" by using a thin piece of wood to make a dipstick, well cleaned of any loose slivers and such. Mark the required length of the fork oil height from the top on the stick and add oil gradually until the dipstick shows oil touch it.
Yes you can, but then you will need more than likely a flashlight to illuminate the end of your tool as it will be 128mm or 5.04" from the top. I like the simple but effective of that HF tool. A turkey baster would work, as long as it goes into the tube.

I used my My-t-vac and marked the level and sucked the over fill out.

Many way to do it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I've just used a metal ruler calibrated in mm. Shove it down like a dipstick with an even number like 150mm or similar flush with the top of the tube, retract. Subtract the oil reading on the ruler from the 150mm (or whatever) reference point for tube top.

OP
OP
T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Shove it down like a dipstick with an even number like 150mm or similar flush with the top of the tube, retract. Subtract the oil reading on the ruler from the 150mm (or whatever) reference point for tube top
fork oil level "tool" by using a thin piece of wood to make a dipstick, well cleaned of any loose slivers and such. Mark the required length of the fork oil height from the top on the stick and add oil gradually until the dipstick shows oil touch it.
Add, subtract, look, measure, analyze and multiple. That all sounds like work. :confused:

Or for $2.. insert, squeeze, suck, repeat, slurp. Done. Ride.

Each to their own you know. As long as the work is done, the bike is safe, we are all good! ;)

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Add, subtract, look, measure, analyze and multiple. That all sounds like work. :confused:
except that the only thing you actually do is subtract, so you're trying to make it sound harder than it really is.

You can also use the ruler just like the piece of wood, if you hold it such that the distance you want (say 128mm for example) aligns with the top of the tube and the oil just touches the bottom of the ruler. The advantage of the ruler in my mind is you can tell how close you are to being at the desired level by shoving the ruler further down in the tube and taking a reading. But you can also shine a flashlight in there too, so like you say there's different methods that all get the job done.

Top Bottom