2000 ST1100 Starter Switch No Longer Availalbe

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I don't know how they work but there is another thread about a keyless ignition farkle somewhere in this site. Maybe that'll work.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I don't know how they work but there is another thread about a keyless ignition farkle somewhere in this site. Maybe that'll work.
The keyless ignition merely mimics turning on the ignition key; you still have to manually press the starter button to start the engine.

My concern is that the OP may find a switch, replace his existing one, and the replacement also not work. It's happened many times.

We don't know whether a proper troubleshoot has been done. Has he bypassed the switch to see if the rest of the starter circuit functions?

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
According to the parts fiches, P/N 35013-MAJ-A32 is unique to ST1100 1995-2002 and ST1100 ABS 1996-2002.
Might want to call a place like Digi key.com. They have thousands of micro switches. One of the things I like about them is you can get a real person that will help you get the right switch. Check em out.
Sourcing the switch through either Digi-Key or OEM whether NOS or used are great ideas.

But keep in mind if the only part that's failing is the 'switch' then almost any Honda model from that design era which shares the same switchpod's outward appearance likely has the same switch inside. It's the length of the wires and the specific connectors at the other end that make the difference between one for the ST1100 or some other Honda model.

Were I in @Scott Benesh 's shoes, I see at least three paths toward resolving the starter switch problem (with all due deference to @Larry Fine and his point-on admonition to be sure the problem is the switch and not something else).

1. Get the exact or equivalent microswitch from Digi-Key and perform some soldering to swap out with the old.
Find a used 1991 through 2002 Honda whose right switchpod has the same shell and outward appearance and canabalize it for its switch.​
Here I could go two ways...​
2. Remove the switch and some length of its wires from the donor, cut the old switch out and splice the new one in its place. I know, blasphemy from STRider, but backed into a corner...
3. Do this if possible. Find a donor pod as above, detach the terminals for the starter switch from its connector. Do the same on the failing one. Fish them out of plastic sleeve or electrical tape wrap of the harness, swap and reverse the process. Guarantee the terminals fit the connector just like the originals did. The new wires might be too short, but if you sourced from, say a Shadow or cruiser with taller bars, the wires may in fact be too long, but I don't think it would be too hard to cable manage a few inches of excess wire underneath all that tupperware.

Bike
2000 ST1100
The keyless ignition merely mimics turning on the ignition key; you still have to manually press the starter button to start the engine.

My concern is that the OP may find a switch, replace his existing one, and the replacement also not work. It's happened many times.

We don't know whether a proper troubleshoot has been done. Has he bypassed the switch to see if the rest of the starter circuit functions?
If i remember correctly it's just a simple black micro switch. All he would need to do is match up the marking for the terminals. If the com is on the lower terminal of the switch get one exactly like his old one.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Add cruise control to your bike and then install a switch from a Honda GoldWing 1500GL. You will need to shorten the harness, put in a jumper cable like they do on the ST1100, plug the main harness out of the switch to the bike and the cruise control portion to either a Rostra or McCruise electronic cruise control. It is a round about way of resolving your issue but you get the best farkle for the ST1100. Just throwing it out there. ;)

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Overwhelmingly starter, turn signal or kill switch failures are due to dirt and grime gumming up the switch electrical connections and/or moving parts. It happens that a switch is defective and needs replacement, but it does not happen very often on this model of motorcycle.

Once the failure has been isolated and determined to be in the switch, the failed switch should be opened up and inspected, cleaned and lubricated before a replacement is ordered.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Once the failure has been isolated and determined to be in the switch, the failed switch should be opened up and inspected, cleaned and lubricated before a replacement is ordered.
That has been pointed out several times with no comment from the OP.

The OP has never mentioned his trouble shooting procedures. Push the button and it didn't work?

The OP hasn't been back in 4 days.

The OP has 4 posts.

Hopefully he found a switch, fixed the switch or someone fixed it for him.

Last time I looked on ebay, switch pods were less than $50. I'm not very electrically orientated but I think I could by pass the button if it can't be repaired or replaced.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That has been pointed out several times with no comment from the OP.

The OP has never mentioned his trouble shooting procedures. Push the button and it didn't work?

The OP hasn't been back in 4 days.

The OP has 4 posts.

Hopefully he found a switch, fixed the switch or someone fixed it for him.

Last time I looked on ebay, switch pods were less than $50. I'm not very electrically orientated but I think I could by pass the button if it can't be repaired or replaced.
Yeah, but look at how much fun we regulars are having kicking the dirt around here... :)

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Right. Keyless ignition is often confused with remote starting. I envy the keyless IGN of the new 'Wings.

Top Bottom