2000 ST1100 Wont Start after clean up.

My bike has been garaged in the last 5 years. I have rode it from time to time and it has started and ran well. I have replaced battery often due to lack of riding. I just put a new battery in the bike as my son and grandson and I are planning a ride into the Blue Ridge Mountains later in May.

My bike has been starting since I installed the new battery a few months ago and I keep a trickle charger attached, due to time between cranking it up in the garage from time to time. It is slow to start some times, but has always eventually started. I use the choke and it coughs and spits a bit, but will finally settle in to a steady idle.

It has been about a year since I actually rode the bike, due to moving and then had a heart event resulting in a pacemaker implant. I am doing fine, so I spent the day yesterday cleaning the bike ( on the center stand in the garage). I have had the left side panel off the bike while replacing the battery many times. I sprayed bike cleaner over the bike and then took a water soaked towel and wiped off the cleaner and then buffed the painted surfaces with a clean tee shirt. Did not use a hose or spray water on the bike.

I removed the seat and the tank bag during the clean up. The trickle charger kit came with a set of cables to attach to the battery with a quick connect adapter that hangs in the access hole in the left side cover. I connected this connector to the ST's battery.

After the clean up and with a good charge on the battery, I was ready for a test ride and to fill the gas tank.

However, the ST failed to start. The starter spins the motor as expected, but does not fire and run. I went through a checklist ( from the original ST1100 Owners Manual )...Engine Run emergency switch is ON, Side Stand is folded UP, Bike is on center stand, Gear select position is in Neutral, the motor spins but does not fire. The indicator lights displays Neutral and the low pressure light comes on, but then goes out as the starter spins the engine. I suspected that I ran out of gas and I could see that the tank was very low, looking into the fuel fill opening. So, to be sure, I drove the gas station and brought back 2 gallons of Premium High Octane ( the same grade I typically use ) and poured the fuel into the tank. Same result, starter spins the motor freely, but no ignition.

I removed the seat and left side panel and checked the primary 30 amp fuse and it was OK.

Does anyone have anything to offer to help me diagnose my issue. My only other option may be to borrow a trailer and take the bike to the Honda dealer 50 miles away.

Thank you!

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
Does the fuel pump run for a second or two when you turn the ignition key on? ...Is there a smell of gas/petrol that would suggest fuel is getting through to the carbs?

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It cranks, so step one is taken care of.
Next you need air, fuel and gasoline.
Check the fuel pump operation as mentioned above.
Make sure that nothing is restricting the air intake. If it has sat for a long time mice may have gotten in there.
Remove a spark plug and check for the presence of fuel on the spark plugs. Check for proper spark at the spark plug when you crank the engine.
What you find doing the above will indicate the absence of one or more of the three requirements of air, fuel and ignition and will determine where you look next. In the case of fuel, it may indicate to much fuel meaning that the engine is flooding.

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100
Where is the fuel pump located on the 2000 ST1100? Is there a fuse for the Fuel Pump?
When you removed the seat you should have seen it mounted on the black fuel tank. The fuses should be on the fuse block located on the left side of the bike. Don't know the number have to get my owners manual.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It is in the fuel tank. Yes it is fused.
In a quite environment with the engine stop switch in the run position, with you head near the fuel tank turn the ignition to the run position. You should hear the fuel pump come on and run for a few seconds and then go off. This doesn't mean that it is properly pumping fuel. It just means that it is getting power.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Messy buy quick way to test fuel pump - disconnect the fuel line at the filter and turn her over.
It would be wise to have a bucket over the end of the fuel line. ;)
Then remove a spark plug, ground it against the head, turn the engine over to see if you have spark.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
On two of the 1100’s I previously owned, when they had sat for a long time, as mentioned above I checked for spark, air and fuel, even though all three were apparent it would not start. On the advice of my Honda mechanic he suggested new spark plugs (there was a discussion on this, and I was reluctant to buy new plugs). Upon installing a fresh set, after three cranks the bike started and ran. Sometimes that’s all it takes. ;)

Top Bottom