2003 ST 1300 as first bike?

OP
OP
Sounds like it has a salvaged title.
The only problem your going to have with a Honda of that vintage is finding OEM parts for it.
Its going to be like an Easter Egg Hunt finding stuff like the petcock, fork brace, etc.
I'd be more concerned with hidden damage on the bike, like steering bearings and if the fork legs are bent, this could be the reason your missing the cross brace.
Your probably going to need a new clutch slave cylinder, and rebuild all of the master cylinders.
This may turn into quite a project for you in the long run, but at least you'll learn how to work on your own bike, as most dealerships won't work on a bike older than 10 years old now.
Good luck.
Yeah my mechanic works at the Honda dealership but works on my bike on the side...nice thing is I got tires, air filter, oils filter all together for $170 brand new.

OP
OP
Sounds like it has a salvaged title.
The only problem your going to have with a Honda of that vintage is finding OEM parts for it.
Its going to be like an Easter Egg Hunt finding stuff like the petcock, fork brace, etc.
I'd be more concerned with hidden damage on the bike, like steering bearings and if the fork legs are bent, this could be the reason your missing the cross brace.
Your probably going to need a new clutch slave cylinder, and rebuild all of the master cylinders.
This may turn into quite a project for you in the long run, but at least you'll learn how to work on your own bike, as most dealerships won't work on a bike older than 10 years old now.
Good luck.
And no, in Arizona it is easy to spot a salvage or rebuilt salvage tite. It is right there on the title that it is a clean title. Arizona is very strict on it.

OP
OP
I was going to chime in too. Dont know what bike prices are out there in AZ, but around here any bike thats running with a clean title will run $1500-$2000 this time if year. The only thing youll see cheaper is a parts or project not running or something you cant get titled.

From what Ive seen you did good at that price. Your mechanic buddy would be smart enough to see if there was something major.
Awesome! Yeah I am quite pleased now that everything is ordered and put on...it’s ready to ride

OP
OP
So I thought I would post an update since it has been about two weeks.
Since then I have done the following.

$25 Replaced petcock (after receiving the wrong part twice. vacuum petcock was advertised and pictures but a manual petcock was sent instead that wasn’t the right for anyways finally had luck with the third vendor).

$10 the original OeM fork brace (still in the mail)

$10 fork brace reinforcement (not stock but helps provide more strength to the allumimum OEM part by fitting under)

$175 Brand new tire set, oil filter, air filter and 4 spark plugs from the dealer. Yes all of this for $175 because my mechanic works there and hooked me up.

$40 Original grill and Honda emblem that was missing (makes the front look way better

Changed all fluids.

adjusted the shifter because It was loose andangled way lower than it should have been.

adjusted and tightened the clutch (we think the bike was dropped as the shifter and clutch were both loose and bend a little)

sealed a small leakfrom the coolant overflow tank nothing major

power washed the bike here is a video

F04223F3-216B-4E96-AD4E-1A75E45A0F71.jpeg

Attachments

OP
OP
So I thought I would post an update since it has been about two weeks.
Since then I have done the following.

$25 Replaced petcock (after receiving the wrong part twice. vacuum petcock was advertised and pictures but a manual petcock was sent instead that wasn’t the right for anyways finally had luck with the third vendor).

$10 the original OeM fork brace (still in the mail)

$10 fork brace reinforcement (not stock but helps provide more strength to the allumimum OEM part by fitting under)

$175 Brand new tire set, oil filter, air filter and 4 spark plugs from the dealer. Yes all of this for $175 because my mechanic works there and hooked me up.

$40 Original grill and Honda emblem that was missing (makes the front look way better

Changed all fluids.

adjusted the shifter because It was loose andangled way lower than it should have been.

adjusted and tightened the clutch (we think the bike was dropped as the shifter and clutch were both loose and bend a little)

sealed a small leakfrom the coolant overflow tank nothing major

power washed the bike here is a video

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Looks like a nice bike. Have you taken it for a ride yet? That fork brace is probably better than the original one. You can probably fix that turn signal with a razor knife by carefully cutting out the broken rubber area, then regluing the 2 sections together with gel superglue. I did that on my BMW f650. Try spraying WD40 around the edges of the kill switch if you can. Sometimes you can clean the crap out without taking it apart. If not carefully taking it apart and cleaning and lubing it will probably fix it. Check Youtube for videos.

OP
OP
Looks like a nice bike. Have you taken it for a ride yet? That fork brace is probably better than the original one. You can probably fix that turn signal with a razor knife by carefully cutting out the broken rubber area, then regluing the 2 sections together with gel superglue. I did that on my BMW f650. Try spraying WD40 around the edges of the kill switch if you can. Sometimes you can clean the crap out without taking it apart. If not carefully taking it apart and cleaning and lubing it will probably fix it. Check Youtube for videos.
yeah but I haven’t ridden it much. Just a few Miles. Just finished everything yesterday. The petcock had just arrived yesterday and I decided to to ride it until everything was fixed.

yeah the fork brace reinforcement that’s on their now is a stronger medal than the stock allumimum, but it still needs the actual fork brace.not sure if you can tell in the video, but the reinforcement doesn’t span the full length between forks so it is just the bolts taking all of the pressure. The piece is simply meant to five more strength to the actual fork brace. The bolts it comes with are a little bit longer thread so that you can fit both pieces on. This one simply sits under the fork brace. But yes, it is stronger.

great idea on the turn signal. Honestly, it was $10 bucks to order the signal stem. I didn’t order it because I have a buddy who has a bunch of turn signals and stems laying around so I plan on stopping by and either finding a match or finding a set and just replacing both sides and saving the money. I just haven’t had the chance to stop by yet. But your idea might be just as good of a solution.

I may try your idea on the kill switch too. I mean it is all one unit with the start button so there really can’t be too much wrong or the start button would not work either. But I really don’t mind it as it is just as easy on my bike to turn it off via the ignition.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Looks good. All you will need would be a seat cover (or to get it recovered somewhere) and the bike will look almost as good as new.

OP
OP
Looks good. All you will need would be a seat cover (or to get it recovered somewhere) and the bike will look almost as good as new.
yes. I have looked at a few seat covers and have gone back and forth as far as what would be better...to order a seat cover, or have someone reupholster it for $50 bucks.....any thoughts?

Bike
2010 ST-1300
yes. I have looked at a few seat covers and have gone back and forth as far as what would be better...to order a seat cover, or have someone reupholster it for $50 bucks.....any thoughts?
I'd look into having it reupholstered. It takes some tools and talent to install a new cover and have it look good. Our training bikes often have issues with the "engine shut-off switches". If I dont have time to take the switch apart I flood all around the edges of the switch with wd-40 while switching it off and on. This will fix it 90% of the time.

You‘ve done good, especially for a first bike. For what you’ve paid and spent, you should be happy.

By doing all those things you‘ve learned a lot about what it takes to keep a bike running.

Have fun and ride safe!

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think I'd pay to have it recovered. It will end up adding some value to the bike if you ever go to sell it. It should also help to keep the foam from getting wet and giving you are wet behind when you sit on it. Having it recovered also is the best way to guarantee a snug fitment also!

OP
OP
You‘ve done good, especially for a first bike. For what you’ve paid and spent, you should be happy.

By doing all those things you‘ve learned a lot about what it takes to keep a bike running.

Have fun and ride safe!
thanks! Yes I am happy. I have put about a hundred miles on it using about 1.3 gallons of gas. I am very pleased with the purchase. It was uncomfortably quiet when I drove my car after riding the bike for a few days.

OP
OP
I'd look into having it reupholstered. It takes some tools and talent to install a new cover and have it look good. Our training bikes often have issues with the "engine shut-off switches". If I dont have time to take the switch apart I flood all around the edges of the switch with wd-40 while switching it off and on. This will fix it 90% of the time.
Tried this today, unfortunately it did not fix the issue

Bike
2003 ST1300
Congrats on the new bike! An 84 Ascot VT500 was my first bike (And Shaft Drive!) and the VT500 Shadow always brings back fond memories. It was a good bike and great for learning how to wrench on a bike too. Only real problems that I had was a perforated tank (rusted from the inside) and electrical issues caused by water getting into some connectors combined with turning the handlebars which moved the wires.

A perforated tank was easily solved by an acid wash, patching with metal, having the tank coated on the inside and a repaint of the outside. It wasn't the prettiest fix, as you could see the added metal but it was more than sufficient for a first bike. It wasn't too bad as all the rusted spots on mine were on the bottom edge so you really had to look to see it.

Electrical just involved cleaning the connectors and I added some dielectric grease to help keep it good in the elements.

OP
OP
Congrats on the new bike! An 84 Ascot VT500 was my first bike (And Shaft Drive!) and the VT500 Shadow always brings back fond memories. It was a good bike and great for learning how to wrench on a bike too. Only real problems that I had was a perforated tank (rusted from the inside) and electrical issues caused by water getting into some connectors combined with turning the handlebars which moved the wires.

A perforated tank was easily solved by an acid wash, patching with metal, having the tank coated on the inside and a repaint of the outside. It wasn't the prettiest fix, as you could see the added metal but it was more than sufficient for a first bike. It wasn't too bad as all the rusted spots on mine were on the bottom edge so you really had to look to see it.

Electrical just involved cleaning the connectors and I added some dielectric grease to help keep it good in the elements.
I actually just redid the tank this weekend! I don’t have the rust problem inside the tank thankfully but there was a little rust n the outside In the bottom like yours.

I ended up fixing about 6 dents. 2 major ones and 4 small ones that I didn’t even notice until I took the tank off. I used bondo And sand paper to smooth out the dents.
I’ve never done something like this before but the best quote I got in town was $900ish to redo the the body parts with new paint. I used a 2k clear coat to avoid gas melting the paint too. I am pretty happy for it being my first time. took about 2 days all together from rear down to reassembly. Here it is ( 2nd picture looks like a big dent but it was actually just the reflection the way the light hit it in that photo).

E1C4987E-EBB9-4C7B-ACD6-73A6A95BBB62.jpeg
844986F9-E7F5-456B-B8BA-EDE0E7974067.jpeg

Top Bottom