2007-05-02 RIP Bill Boyd, STOC #2542

Don-STOC237

STealer
Bike
Suzuki GSX1250FA-ST
STOC #
Bill Boyd was a long-time contributor to the ST1100 liST. I only met him in person once, but I can say he was a great southern gentleman, a really nice guy, and a great hand technically. I understand that he did a lot of work on Shane Smith's ST1100 and ST1300 rally bikes.

He will be missed sorely by everyone who met or had contact with him...

(Following from Shane Smith)

Hello everyone,

It is with a very sad heart I sit in front of one my best friend's
computer and write this letter.

This afternoon Bill Boyd of McComb, MS rode his SV 650 to McDonalds
to have his afternoon coffee with his motorcycle buddies. He arrived
in the parking lot, pulled his helmet off, reached for his cell phone.
And fell to the ground. A lady was in McDonald's and gave Bill CPR
and was assisted by a policeman. Our friend passed away this
afternoon around 3:30 p.m., due to a massive heart attack. He was
doing what he enjoyed, riding and visting with his friends. Bill was
a good friend and a helpful person, he had his OWN WAY of doing
things, but you could always count on Bill. He helped me in more ways
than I can count. I know he will be missed by his friend's and
family. Please pass this on to any of Bill's friends or email lists
that he frequented. I am not sure of arrangements at this time, but
will pass them on as we know them. Please keep Patsy (his wife) and
his 3 children in your thoughts and prayers.

I will miss you my friend and thank-you for everything,

Shane Smith
McComb, MS

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: RIP Bill Boyd, STOC #2542

Very sad to hear... I met Bill last year during NatSTOC. He had lots of great stories and seemed to know everyone. Prayers out to his family and friends.

RIP

Always sad to hear of someone who shares my passion passing on. God speed. Bill and his loved ones will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #

I sat a gabbed with Bill all afternoon at NatSTOC; he did have a great number of stories and was old enough to state his beliefs forcefully.. :D
I had a great afternoon with him.

When George and I were discussing a rider (on a bike type that shall remain unnamed) that went around a corner without leaning Bill offered something I feel should be taught at MSF courses...

"Lean or Die"

God Speed Bill.

Mark

BamaRider

Guy
STOC #

I'm sorry to hear this. I did not know Bill, I'm sure he is in a better place so I do not feel sorry for HIM, but at the loss his family and friends must feel.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #

Sounds like a great guy. Our prayers are with his family.

John & Maggie

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I met Bill at NatSTOC last fall. Really nice guy, proud of his work for Shane Smith. He knew his stuff and I'm sure he'll be missed by those closer to him.

God Speed, Bill.

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #

To Shane and Bill's family, my condolences. Bill was extremely proud of his neighbor Shane Smith, and was looking forward to assisting him in this year's IBA Rally. He was definately a motorcyclist and went doing what he loved best. I too met and talked to him at NatSToc last year and he didn't pull punches on anything we talked about as Mark mentioned above.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"

Rest In Peace Bill, condolances to family and friends.

STOC #

Does anyone have an old photo of Bill. I 'met a lot of guys in passing' at Natstoc and it would be nice to put a face to his name.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

David Lester asked:

Does anyone have an old photo of Bill. I 'met a lot of guys in passing' at Natstoc and it would be nice to put a face to his name.
Hi David, All,

I proudly call myself a friend of Bill. Never met a kinder, more giving man than he. Bill was the finest southern gentleman I ever had the privilege of spending time with. I first met him, along with his good friend Shane Smith, at the Glen Rose TexSTOC ('03) where this picture was taken:

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1117956725053727880FlNfPP

I was very fortunate to enjoy an e-mail correspondence with Bill over the years, with a few phone calls thrown in to hear each other's voices. Now I'm having trouble getting my head around the fact that he's no longer with us, not reachable by a few strokes on the keyboard or phonepad. No need for an emoticon here, I'll just say it: I'm darn sad.

Here's Bill's obit :

------------------
William Charles “Bill” Boyd, 68, of McComb, died May 2, 2007, at Southwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center, after a brief illness.
Visitation was 10 a.m. today at Hartman Funeral Home of McComb until memorial services there at 11 a.m. Dr. Mack Amis and Bro. Ed Sudduth officiated .
Mr. Boyd was born Aug. 1, 1938, in Douglas, Ariz. He was the son of the late L.T. Boyd and Nell Berry Boyd.
“Bill” was a member of First Baptist Church, McComb. He was a graduate of McComb High School Class of 1956 and graduated from Mississippi State University with a degree in aeronautical engineering.
He worked in the aerospace industry for 12 years before returning to McComb to become owner and operator of Radio Shack.
Mr. Boyd’s favorite pastime was motorcycles. He was a member of numerous riding clubs such as BMW-ROM (Riders of MS) and BMW-Motorcycles Owners of America. He also enjoyed ham radio.
“Bill” died doing what he loved best, and for those who loved motorcycles as Bill did, the family said he was able to pull into the McDonald's parking lot — where he met his friends for coffee every day — and was able to place his kick stand down, and reached for his cell phone. That's when the Lord decided to call “Bill” home.
Survivors include his wife of 381/2 years, Patsy Kubala Boyd; one son, Michael William Boyd of Durham, N.C.; two daughters, Karin Moore and her husband Michael of Petal, and Kristin Mullins and her husband Steven of Walker, La.; two granddaughters, Emily Paige Moore and Riley Elizabeth Moore of Petal; and many other family and friends who will miss him.
------------------

Godspeed, Bill. I will miss you...

Regards, John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058
STGhOOST@aol.com

Last edited:
Top Bottom