28 amp reg/rec solder any pictures

Bike
st1100
hi.. 1992 st1100 89,000 miles waiting for my rec/reg to arrive, to do away with connector i have heard on forum of people soldering direct onto reg/rec, is this straight onto the spade with wire and then solder does not seem to be a lot of room in there has anybody any info on this or any pictures to assist me in doing this please... regards jim:) :)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Jim,

Do NOT solder directly to the male spades on the VRR, you could easily damage it. I don't solder anything. If you want to eliminate the white 6P connector, crimp female spade connectors on the ends of the wire leads and plug them into the appropriate male spades on the VRR.

John

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Silly that the VRR doesn't have a heatsink on it.

I've noticed my 28a alt, while it started acting flaky last weekend, and I have a 40a alt and parts on the way for the upgrade... the 28a alt output does come up to about 14V above 3kRPM in this cooler weather.

OP
OP
sandman jim
Bike
st1100
Interesting, Pat. No part number for the R1 VRR. Oh yeah, and there's only 5 wire leads whereas 28amp ST1100s have 6.

John
thanks john..i have managed to get a 6 pin plug of a old loom and it is in good order and my reg/rec arrived today, is it best to pack with sillicone grease..i was only in the garage checking bike over and decided to check all the plugs that is when i noticed the burnt plug it was the live wire it was all loose..all the other wires where ok including the yellow wires..the only changes on the bike is daytona heated grips and headlight brighter bulb was put on bike a month before i bought it..im glad i checked that plug i was only on the bike the day before..1992 with 89000 mile..i have checked the 3 pin red plug and the 2 wire plug below it and all seems fine...regards jim:):)

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Silly that the VRR doesn't have a heatsink on it.
UK Police-spec 1100s (pre-40A) did have a VRR with a heatsink (31600-MZ9-901). Seemed to work fine.

But at ?155.26/$245.90, you'd probably be better off looking at an alternative solution!

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
Hound, yeah, that's a bit pricey!

I have a 40a alt and all the other parts on the way to replace my ailing 28a unit as we speak! Should be upgraded in a couple weeks!

(can't wait, I may need to use my heated gloves soon!!)

El Guero

V4 *****
Bike
1995 ST1100
If I hooked up a little computer fan on top of my VRR, would that save me doing the 40A swap? :p:

OP
OP
sandman jim
Bike
st1100
Use dielectric grease, Jim. And you don't need to 'pack' it, just enough to coat the metal.

John
hi..thanks john is vasoline ok to use ,, also do i need to put thermal paste on the back of rec/reg,, and when i have inserted the plug into rec/reg will it be ok to put sillicone sealant on bottom of plug to stop dirt getting in, between the plastic side of the plug and wires.. the rec/reg i took of the bike (the burnt out one) looks like looks like it has been on since new and bike has 89,000 mile on her....regards jim:):):)

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
... is vasoline ok to use[?]

TTBOMK, it's basically the same thing, but why not buy the purpose branded stuff?

also do i need to put thermal paste on the back of rec/reg[?]

Couldn't hurt, but IMO not necessary if the rest of the charging system is operating normally.

will it be ok to put sillicone sealant on bottom of plug to stop dirt getting in, between the plastic side of the plug and wires[?]

Dirt's not the real problem, moisture and heat are. This connector is in a protected area and the opening is on the bottom so in this particular case I wouldn't seal it off. JMHO though...

John

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
If I hooked up a little computer fan on top of my VRR, would that save me doing the 40A swap? :p:

I don't know, Austin. I recall that some VFR riders have tried this, but I don't know if it actually worked in the long run. Maybe somebody here knows... you might start a new thread with an appropriate subject line and ask the question again.

Thanks again for helping me test my loaner VRRs. We know for sure that your 95's VRR is definitely working well.

Regards, John :STOC: Ten Fifty-Eight

OP
OP
sandman jim
Bike
st1100
hi..i am not a mechanic but i can comment on this issue and i hope this helps you,, some time ago i owned a 1998 honda vfr800 i went through 3 reg/rec in 12 months i had to have the alternator rewound.. then i put another reg/rec on and i put a computer fan on top..but the vfr reg/rec had fins on it,, so i drilled 1 hole in each corner of reg/rec through the fin cabletied it to the computer fan,, live wire joined to rear light feed earth wire to earth.. i never had problems for the next 12 months and then i sold the bike.. regards jim:):)

Top Bottom