40 Amp alternator seal

Bike
1997 ST1100
Phew - there is a lot of chit chat about alternators here! I did a search but could not find what I was looking for so here goes another thread....
Anyhow - My rotor (40 amp unit) repair finally failed after 70K, so it is time to install a new one. I have everything I need with the exception of the seal p/n 31141-MAJ-G41. I checked several places and have been told that it has been discontinued. The manual states that it must be replaced. It looks like a typical oil seal and I was thinking of taking it down to my local bearing supplier to see if they could match it up, but I am afraid it will be damaged upon removal and then I might not be able to obtain one. Does anyone have dimensions on the seal or a parts source for it?

I don't have a metric caliper but the # on the seal is NOK brand BE2408F and my inch caliper says od 1.076 .260 thick and the shaft is .580 this should give something to wort with

since the ST1300 is so similiar I thought I would check and it looks like it might work

EDIT: Just compared them and NO that won't work.

Last edited:
I would have liked to order that part from them but I had already checked with them and several other places without any luck. I stopped by the local bearing supplier and they have one 27 x 15 x 7. I might try that one.

OK - so I found a 15mm x 27mm x 7mm double lip oil seal at www.oringsandmore.com (part # 15x27x7mm). I forgot to post a photo before I installed it but it appeared identical sans the factory seal was sort of a brown / orange color and this one was black. It pressed in fine. Time will tell...
Thanks for the help - FredO
ST alternator seal.jpeg

My guess is it is a buna nitrial where the original could be viton. The viton has a higher temperature rating. Did you try the part number i posted earlier?

I did try the NOK number and did not find anything. The seal I ordered is Buna. As long as the temps stay below 250 it should be fine. Hopefully…….
Once I had it all back together I searched the Nippendenso alternator part number and found several parts suppliers. I did not call any of them but the basic part number is supported in the aftermarket. If I have problems in the future I may reach out to them.

I did try the NOK number and did not find anything. The seal I ordered is Buna. As long as the temps stay below 250 it should be fine. Hopefully…….
Once I had it all back together I searched the Nippendenso alternator part number and found several parts suppliers. I did not call any of them but the basic part number is supported in the aftermarket. If I have problems in the future I may reach out to them.
For reference , can you provide the Nippondenso part number?

When i did a search for the NOK number i did not get a hit in it as NOK but a lot of info on it also fitting other bikes with one being some triumphs. Good luck with what you got. It should be ok as the buna is what most auto trans use for there converter seal.

I have attached a picture of the alternator with the p/n on the label. Unfortunately the last digit on the label is missing since the label is damaged. Does anyone know what the p/n suffix is? I want to contact one of the ND vendors and see if they can source the correct seal.
I looked into the seal usage on the Triumph Sprint and it is the same but Triumph does not sell piece parts for the alternator. I also investigated the mention of it being used in a Kawasaki Concours alternator. The seal in this application is a Kawasaki p/n 92049-1200. I am checking around to see if anyone has one and is willing to send me a photo of it so that I can ensure it is the same NOK brand BE2408F.
PXL_20220916_190546845.jpg

I have attached a picture of the alternator with the p/n on the label. Unfortunately the last digit on the label is missing since the label is damaged. Does anyone know what the p/n suffix is? I want to contact one of the ND vendors and see if they can source the correct seal.
I looked into the seal usage on the Triumph Sprint and it is the same but Triumph does not sell piece parts for the alternator. I also investigated the mention of it being used in a Kawasaki Concours alternator. The seal in this application is a Kawasaki p/n 92049-1200. I am checking around to see if anyone has one and is willing to send me a photo of it so that I can ensure it is the same NOK brand BE2408F.
Here ya go
Alternator.jpg

I spoke with a dealer on ebay that has several of the Kawasaki p/n 92049-1200 seals. They confirmed the p/n embossed on the seal was indeed NOK BE2408F. I purchased a couple.

Back
Top Bottom