91 ST1100 Ignition switch (?) problem

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
IIRC were there tamper-proof "snap-off bolts" installed, requiring to get drilled out... but could be year/area related variation...
On my '95 there were two regular Torx screws holding the assembly in place and one security Torx screw to deal with, which has a tiny raised post in the centre of the Torx slot, prohibiting the use of a regular Torx socket to remove it. IIRC, the special Torx socket, which is very small, is required to disassemble the switch mechanism.

Corrected the bolt count in a later post.

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...one security Torx screw to deal with, which has a tiny raised post in the centre of the Torx slot...
OK, you're talking about the screws holding the switch-plate in place, whilst I was referring to the bolts holding the ignition lock inside the triple-clamp... ;-)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
OK, you're talking about the screws holding the switch-plate in place, whilst I was referring to the bolts holding the ignition lock inside the triple-clamp... ;-)
OK, I had to go look, because the old memory of the job has faded and I can now correct my earlier thought. There are three small Torx security bolts holding the switch plate in place. You do need a special socket to get that switch assembly out. The entire ignition lock/switch assembly IS held in place by two regular Torx bolts, which are removed from underneath the triple clamp. I remember they did have a locking agent on the threads though, which makes them a bit harder to break loose. I put 'em back with blue Loctite.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
part # ??
which fiche ?
Jim's post is just what the 1100 collective does NOT need, IMO. Scare up the members to get them ordering parts they do not, and may never need and in the process, clean out all the new old stock parts that someone may REALLY need in the future! If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Don't become a PM OCD Dean.

Sure sounds like it, can't remember anyone mentioning this specific one before but my memory... ah... what was I saying? Anyway, maybe someone else will jump in.
Recently had the same problem. Stripped the ignition/key bit down, cleaned and greased the contacts. Works a treat.

IIRC were there tamper-proof "snap-off bolts" installed, requiring to get drilled out... but could be year/area related variation...
If you remove the fork top bridge and disconnect the connection under the air filter , the unit can be cleaned and greased without drilling the snap off bolts.

Hello!

I have a 91 ST1100 with ~60k miles on it. I'm having an interesting issue. I put the key in and turn it to the start position and I get no lights on the dash. However, if I turn the key ever so slightly back to the left, the dash lights come on and I can start the bike. If I take my hand off the key it goes back to full start position and the bike dies. Bad ignition switch?
Hi. I had the same problem. Utube shows how to strip down the ignition and clean /grease the contacts,pig of a job but doable. Photo each section before removal to help replace. It solved my problem.

Top Bottom