'94 ST1300 Won't start, diagnosing the Fuel Level Sensor?

My ST1300 won't start, I don't hear the fuel pump wine when I turn on the ignition. So, I broke out the manual and got stumped on the first diagnostic measurement: Step 1 Fuel Level Sensor. Per the manual (see attached), the standard reading is 213-219 ohms and the diagnostic measurement is 213-219 k ohms. I'm reading 24.1 k ohms, which is not the standard or the diagnostic. So, I assume I should take the "No" branch onto step 2?

Attachments

Bike
R1200rt
thats testing the fuel level system look testing fuel pump. You need to find the B+ and gound for the fuel pump, look for 12v when first turning key on for a few seconds.

Bike
VFR750F, ST1300
Hi!

What is maintenance history of this bike?
When was last time bike ran perfectly?
What happened between then and now?

Is fuel-level gauge blinking "--.-" continuously?

Personally I would use section "25. TROUBLESHOOTING - Engine Does Not Start or is Hard to Start"
25-1-2. check for spark, then
5-7. jumper service check-connector and see if there are any MIL blink codes. Go to section for troubleshooting specific codes. If no codes, skip to
5-11. No blinks. Since you don't hear pump prime, let's take look at that circuit specifically by tracing voltage from battery through fusebox to bank-angle relay then fuel-pump relay then fuel-pump.

You'll get series of measurements like 13v, 13v, 13v, 0v <-- AHAH!!!! problem is between that point and previous junction that did have power.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Below is a link to the fuel pump circuit and how to diagnose it.

Before that however, the first thing to do is check for fault codes and see where that leads.

Has the motorcycle sat unused for a while in an area where mice could have access to it? If so, you may have a damaged injector wiring sub-harness.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Bank angle relay is up front under the plastic next to the windshield adjustor, no?
You can also start backwards, confirm you have 13v going into the fuel pump relay (that should rule out a bank angle relay problem) and go downstream from there. That relay is easier to access on the left side of the bike.

Agree with checking/verifying any fault codes first though; they'll prob point you in at least the right sub-section of the manual.

I've had an intermittent running bike caused by 1) fuel injector sub harness being chewed through by house mouse and 2) fuel pump (said dealer anyway; I couldn't argue, bike wouldn't start and I was stranded so had it towed there after several instances of intermittent spontaneous shut downs while underway)

Top Bottom