ABS ECU???

Bike
st 1100
Well discovered tonight seems likely the ABS ECU is shot (ahhh the joy lol) am wondering what my options are? (never had ABS before)
reading the Haynes i get the idea that faulty ABS ECU (WHICH I'M GUESSING IS THE VILLAIN HERE)
kind of shuts itself off so effectively you have normal brakes ie;- non abs brakes? i'm assuming i will need new control unit?

OMG THE PRICE But anyway any tips ideas on what action to take most welcome.

Am of to Scotland on thursday so a bit concerned about the brakes. Should i stay or should i go? lol Thanks Gareth

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
All the ABS does is keep you from locking the brakes. Just go easy on the rear and you will be fine. I would not assume the ECU is bad because there are lot of other components that could be causing the symptoms. A simple one is if the battery cables are not properly cleaned and tightened, the voltage flunctations can make the ABS do crazy things. And the ground cable on the ST1100 can work itself loose if it is still run through the 'hook' on the battery holder.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You beat me to it UP. I was going to suggest you check every contact, including the harness. Inspect, spray some contact cleaner and add just a dab of dielectric grease. I bet it is fine, just resting.

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
Where on earth would we be without the internet and these forums? lol. Anyway after further investigation and attempting to read the fault codes i am getting or i was at least 1 long and 2 short flashes, went through the motions and cleared the fault codes went back into fault reading mode and now i seem to be getting 2 long and 2 short? (just to point out the bike has not moved during any of this process) found a listing for the ABS fault codes i'm thinking it must be the rear crank angle sensor??? would anybody agree on this?? or have i completely cocked it up? lol. Now whilst i am not to bothered the ABS dont work as such i am considering/toying with the idea of moving the ST on and upgrading or something not sure what. and i'm guessing the ABS apparently not working wont really help in the sale so if it aint to stupid money i'd like to fix it if reasonably plossible. Thanks for all your help guys. Gareth P.S. Just back from 1800 odd miles again up around the North of Scotland and North Wales awesome bike awesome mile muncher but hey i guess you all know that anyway? lol

OP
OP
Bike
st 1100
Bought a replacement sensor, but it looks like the old ones gonna be a pig to get out? ;-/ hey ho

Top Bottom