ABS Modulator failure

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I just finished reassembling an ABS1 ST1100 which came in tubs because someone had a shop disassemble the transmission regarding a shifting problem. After about 4 days of work the bike was all back together and ran the ABS system tests. Of course, Code #1... Pulled and serviced the front modulator which had one of the typical internal failures due to sitting long term with old fluid and no use. On reinstallation, the front module passed but Code #2 appeared to ditto, service rear, same problem.

There are a number of pattery failures which I see in repairing ABS1 modulators. There are fewer variations in failures of ABS2 but as they age, we may see more. I am not servicing ABS-ST1300 modulators at this time because some have failed internal plastics which cannot be obtained. Hate to have someone ship one and then have to disappoint.

I'm hoping to get the word out that one should not allow an ABS motorcycle to sit for long periods without excercising the modulators. This is less of an issue for ABS2 and ST1300 which is really a variation of the ST1100's ABS2 system. That said, it is asking for trouble in those systems also. I just don't see as many modulators for repair. Running the ABS test by holding the ABS button down, key on, when ABS lights go out, release ABS button. One will hear the modulator pumps clatter. Listen for both front and rear. Do the procedure several times, then the bike can go back to sleep. I'd not like to allow one to sit longer than a week or so without excercising the modulators, FWIW.

While I cannot provide empiracle evidence, I strongly believe that changing the brake system's brake fluid once per year can help to head off modulator failure.

It is important to recognize that the fluid inside the modulators is isolated from the brake fluid in the main braking system and these fluids do not exchange. That said, porosity, osmosis, and other effects can promote moisture exchange to keeping clean fluid in the main system may provide an advantage. The postive prophyactic effects on the main system should be sufficient, regardless.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'm hoping to get the word out that one should not allow an ABS motorcycle to sit for long periods without excercising the modulators.
Annual springtime MSL are as well a good/possible "exercise", them instructors always encourage the riders to get the system operating so they familiarize with the sensation during a real-life full/panic stop...

I strongly believe that changing the brake system's brake fluid once per year can help to head off modulator failure.
You got my vote Norm! :wink:

Top Bottom