ABS question

Guys,

I need some help.
I swapped my grey 2002 for a candy red 2012. I'm changing all fluids and installing all the farkles I had on the 2002.
After changing the brake fluid and bleeding the system I noticed that my ABS light stays on. Not just at startup
but when the bike is moving, too. I tried the ABS test with H and M fuses removed but the ABS light stays on
permanently so I'm not getting any error codes. Could my ABS box be faulty?
I didn't ride the bike when I bought it and don't know if the ABS light was on or not then...
I used a small electronic vacuum pump for bleeding. Could too much vacuum damage the ABS system?
I'd rebuilt several '90s Yamaha Sumitomo ABS units and there is nothing in them that vacuum could damage.
I'm lost... :(
thanks for any input.

t.

Bike
2010 ST1300
No. I use a refrigeration vacuum pump on all my brake fluid changes. I adjust the suction to 20 - 25" of Hg with a bleeder valve in the hose and suck brake fluid through the caliper. Never ever had a problem with this system. I assume you followed the multi step procedure to bleed your brakes, including removing the SMC and tilting it, correct?

My guess is you bumped the ABS sensor on the right side of the front wheel. Check the Service Manual for the correct spacing. There is also a sensor on the rear wheel (right side on the swing arm).

OP
OP
Thanks for the reply. Yep, I followed the bleeding procedure and removed and tilted the SMC.
Checked the sensors, too but their bracket is very sturdy and the gap seems normal.
The fact that I can't throw the ABS into service mode worries me.

t.

No. I use a refrigeration vacuum pump on all my brake fluid changes. I adjust the suction to 20 - 25" of Hg with a bleeder valve in the hose and suck brake fluid through the caliper. Never ever had a problem with this system. I assume you followed the multi step procedure to bleed your brakes, including removing the SMC and tilting it, correct?

My guess is you bumped the ABS sensor on the right side of the front wheel. Check the Service Manual for the correct spacing. There is also a sensor on the rear wheel (right side on the swing arm).

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Did you try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? Don't know what electronics you'll have to reset. :(

Last edited:

DaveWooster

'95 ST1100ALS and '98 Standard ST1100W
Bike
1995 ST1100A
STOC #
Titu, you no longer own a Pan European ST1100. You now own a Pan European ST1300. So if you do not get your ABS brake problem solved here, maybe you you should try posting over in this nearby ST1300 brake forum:
TRANSLATION:

Titu, már nincs páneurópai ST1100-asod. Most egy páneurópai ST1300-asod van.
Tehát ha itt nem oldja meg az ABS fékproblémáját, akkor megpróbálhatja közzétenni ezt a közeli ST1300 fékfórumot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom