Advice on removing stripped brake pad pins

Bike
1997 ST1100
I just picked up this 97 ST and I'm going over it bit by bit. The front brakes were squealing just a tad so I started there. I was able to disconnect the right side calipers and was able to swing the pads out to see that they were pretty dry between the backing plate and the pistons. Some pad lube solved the squeal problem. I could not remove the brake pad pins because they were rounded out, on both front calipers. The top bolt on the left caliper swing arm is not rounded out but I could not get it loose with the hex wrench I had. I did not want to strip that one out too. I hit them with penetrating oil last night. I'll hit them again today to see if they loosen up. I'm looking for a few tips on getting these pins out. I don't want to reomve he calipers from the lines but I may have to if they need to be drilled out. Anybody out there experience anything similar? What's the best way to extract rounded hex cap screws? I might try a hex attachment on an air ratchet for the top bolt. The impact action my be enough to dislodge it. The pin bolts are another story. They are alreay rounded out.

Attachments

Byron

STOC #
Have you tried to fit an ez out into where the Allen wrench goes? They make them in spiral and square configurations and sometimes one will fit better than the other. Another option is try to grab the pin between the pads with vise grips, possibly in combination with an ez out.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Can you cut a slot in it with a Dremel, then use a screw driver to try and back it out? Just another thought if the ez-out doesn't work.

OP
OP
Eagle59
Bike
1997 ST1100
I don't have any EZ-Outs yet for cap screws. I may have to get some. I have screw extractors but I don't think the will work for this. The brake pad pins are in a recessed hole in the calipers so the Dremell solution won't work either. I have seen in some other posts about trying to drive in a torx bit. That may work too. Got lot's of suggestions to try. I'm going to apply the penetrating oil a few more times and go after them. Thanks for all the ideas.

Top Bottom