Aerostich vrs Alaska Leather vrs Scottsdale Trading Co buttpads

Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
Hi, I'm in the market for a sheepskin buttpad for the 1300. I've looked at the Aerostich, Alaska Leather and Scottsdale Trading Company pads. Priced are pretty much the same.
I see that the Aerostich has an eight point retention system along with a non-skid base to prevent the pad from sliding around. The Aerostich is limited to a simple 'tapered' or rectangular shape that just sits on top of the seat.
The Alaska and Scottsdale pads appear to be custom shaped the fit the ST1300 pilot seat. Per the website, the Alaska pad is held by one strap. Sent an email to Scottsdale asking for # of retention points.
My concern is the pad sliding around during a spirited ride.
I also like to stand-up while riding to stretch the legs and cool-off. I'm concerned while standing, the pad will blow around and get out of position.
I'm already sold on using the pad, just looking for input regarding the different makes/styles.

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited:

DJDixon

Site Supporter
Bike
2020 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have used the Alaska pad on a ST1100, a ST1300 and a BMW R1200RT. It doesn't squirm around during spirited riding on me on any of the bikes. If you inform them that you stand up on the pegs, they will add another strap to the front to keep it from lifting in the wind.

On the RT, I have both a front pad and a rear for the passenger.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
I used to use sheepskin seat pads and found that Alaska Leather made good quality products. Since then I have gone to a 3D mesh seat cover and have found it to be superior in every way to the sheepskin. It is very cool in hot weather as air can circulate, does not trap water, eliminates pressure points and it improves the grip on the seat. These also conform to the seat very well and stays put.

Dan

Bike
2006 ST1300
I got sheepskin pads years ago from an Aussie website, Sheepy Hollow. I bought their seconds, and they were very good quality. Only one strap , but they stayed put,

Winged_STer

Gary Gray
Site Supporter
Bike
'20 BMW R1250GS Adv
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have always used the Alaska pads with a single strap. 5000+ miles and it has never moved much that I can recall.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Have you considered that the sheep had his custom molded to his fundament? Getting a sheepskin fitted to your bike seems backward to me. :rofl1:

OP
OP
Team2010
Bike
2022 BMW RT 1250
I have used the Alaska pad on a ST1100, a ST1300 and a BMW R1200RT. It doesn't squirm around during spirited riding on me on any of the bikes. If you inform them that you stand up on the pegs, they will add another strap to the front to keep it from lifting in the wind.

On the RT, I have both a front pad and a rear for the passenger.
Good to know. Thanks for the tip.

I used to use sheepskin seat pads and found that Alaska Leather made good quality products. Since then I have gone to a 3D mesh seat cover and have found it to be superior in every way to the sheepskin. It is very cool in hot weather as air can circulate, does not trap water, eliminates pressure points and it improves the grip on the seat. These also conform to the seat very well and stays put.

Dan

For $20 or so, I might give this a try first. I'm trying to find one to fit the 1300.

Top Bottom