Alarm Recommendations

Bike
2005 ST1300 PA
Sometimes i must park my bike outside at night or when i go in buildings. Id like a recommendation for an alarm that has a wireless fob or somehow alerts my smart phone.

Thank you

What ever you do buying an alarm - make sure it DOES NOT tie into your ignition to kill the engine , my ChatterBox brand alarm had that feature - that malfunctioned as I rode it on vacation , shut off engine on I-80 , caused me to wreck , concussion , broke shoulder joint - cost me 3 operations , ( 2 failed ) , year of not riding , $2700 in replacement parts. I replaced that unit with a simpler $40 Bulldog car unit . ( which I just saw have MC units now )

Last edited:
I can't offer any advice on alarms, having never used one.

What I do when I need to leave my motorcycle outside in a sketchy location is look around for a parked Harley-Davidson. I then park beside the Harley-Davidson, confident that the thieves will steal the Harley before they steal my ST.

Michael

I can't offer any advice on alarms, having never used one.

What I do when I need to leave my motorcycle outside in a sketchy location is look around for a parked Harley-Davidson. I then park beside the Harley-Davidson, confident that the thieves will steal the Harley before they steal my ST.

What if they want a reliable motorcycle ?

Better off getting a tracker ,I have one in the uk for my quad ,has its own rechargeable built in battery that lasts 2 years ,so small you can hide it anywhere,got a mostion censor so I get a text when it’s moved ,and has 3 types of tracking so can be found even in a container

Better off getting a tracker ,I have one in the uk for my quad ,has its own rechargeable built in battery that lasts 2 years ,so small you can hide it anywhere,got a mostion censor so I get a text when it’s moved ,and has 3 types of tracking so can be found even in a container

Links?

Based on the experience of others there is no need for an alarm on the ST. No self respecting thief would bother with one.

My wife and I were in a local burger joint. An older couple rode up on a nice HD and came in. I noticed a white panel van pull into the parking lot...he left just a minute later, driver never left the van. Apparently his 'crew' loaded up the HD in that minute. He drove away into the neighborhood and no one saw him after that. The police arrived almost a half hour later and weren't much help at all except to suggest the thief probably used a hoist mounted inside the van. Exotic bikes (Aprilia, BMW and such) and Harleys are the local theft targets. Few are recovered in any condition. Alarms? What happens when one goes off in any parking lot? Nothing, no one even looks up anymore given the number of false alarms. Consider one that also notifies you via your phone or laptop and contains a tracking feature. Consider also that few people are emotionally equipped to confront a thief who may be armed. Insurance is your friend.

Without a WiFi connection I’m not sure there is such a device. Buy a lock and some insurance...
Sometimes i must park my bike outside at night or when i go in buildings. Id like a recommendation for an alarm that has a wireless fob or somehow alerts my smart phone.

Tracker is angood idea

No self respecting thief would steal a ST anyways

Oh my i laughed out loud at the cafe bar drinking my coffee. Almost messed up my dress bdu.

Yeah, but its the non self respecting or dumb thieves you have to worry about. If you really think you need one, how about investigating things like those tracking devices - is Lojac made for bikes? Is it small enough to install on an ST?

Another benefit of owning a ST, no one wants to steal it. I usually leave the key in mine at work...

If you're a member on ADVrider, there are a couple of used Scorpio alarms for sale in the classifieds.

Not mine and I don't benefit in any way from their sale. Just sharing some info.

Nobody steals STs. Just ask members who's ST have been STolen. We all know there are no guarantees. And we all have stories that contradict any wisdom or suggestions offered. But that shouldn't stop anybody from being proactive if that's their desire. 'I shoulda...' isn't much help when looking at an empty space.

Or— just never get attached to it and carry replacement insurance. Who cares if your ride get stolen? Just buy a new one.

You guys are right. I guess I get attached and its true, they steal HD not EOL STs. Guess im a hopeless romantic

Im the founding member of STA.... ST Anonymous

Back
Top Bottom