Alpine Designs 2-Man Tent

Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
Hi Friends ....

I'm in the market for a good, 2- or 3-man tent. I was at Sports Authority tonight, and saw this tent. The store did not have one open, and on display, but the image on the box looks like it'll fit the bill. It is the "mummy" style; 5 foot wide, 7-1/2 feet long, 38" tall. I know it seems cramped, but I already carry a fair bit of kit, and want to try to keep the weight / mass down.

Is anyone familiar with this model, or can anyone recommend a similiar tent that has worked well for them?

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I like a 3 man tent so I can fit all the STuff and still have room for 2 people.
Chris and I have used the REI Raj and like it.

Mark

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
Hi Mark! :)

I was looking at the three-man tents, but all I can seem to find is the "dome" style. I prefer the "mummy", as these seem to pack smaller. The hiking / backpacking tents are of this style; the "domes" and "cabin" styles seem more suited to car toting.

Most of my moto-camping will be me alone; I prefer the smaller tents as they are easier to warm in the cooler weather, and generally seem to offer better ventilation in the warm.

I'll take a look at the model you use, and make another assessment. Do you carry it on the ST? Does it pack well? By myself, and traveling light, I can prolly handle it ... it's just that years of outdoor activity and motorcycling has shown me the benefits of minimalistic packing and gear.

Seems I've still got some homework to do ......

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If you're solo camping I would go with a 2 man tent too.

One thing I would check is that the shock-corded pole segment length is short enough to fit in your bag.

I carry a dry river bag with our tent and sleeping pads on the seat behind me. Since Chris rides her own ST the back of my seat is available and we have only needed one bag so far... of course you know that her *STuff* can expand exponentially if I tell her we are going to visit or go out while on the road... :)

Mark

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
jbim said:
I have a one person Sierra Designs Solomente. Brilliant. They have several model to chose. Very light weight and goes up in seconds.http://www.sierradesigns.com/tents.tents.php
This is one very serious tent ... and it's right up my alley! ;) I'm familiar with Sierra Designs products; I'll be searching the site to see what other offerings I can see.

How long have you had yours? How often does it get used? Would you buy it again, if the need arose? What led you to this selection?

I know, lotsa questions; but how else are we to learn? :) Thanks for your input. I really appreciate the suggestions, from all. Thanks, Friends ....

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
Mark said:
If you're solo camping I would go with a 2 man tent too.

One thing I would check is that the shock-corded pole segment length is short enough to fit in your bag.

I carry a dry river bag with our tent and sleeping pads on the seat behind me. Since Chris rides her own ST the back of my seat is available and we have only needed one bag so far... of course you know that her *STuff* can expand exponentially if I tell her we are going to visit or go out while on the road... :)

Mark
The pole length is a valid concern. The two-man dome I am currently using has 18" sections. It really only fits on the passenger seat. I would be happier with gear like this to be hidden from view. :)

I DO know about SWMBO's gear increasing; that's why she FLIES to the destination, and I meet her there (eventually). Truth be told, I enjoy overnighters at the State and National Parks. This is where I generally end up, and it's not really her thing.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've used the REI Half Dome 2 and the Eureka 2XTA, both great tents. I know someone that is taller, over 6 ft, and isn't that happy with the REI tent as it's short for him... the Eureka feels shorter than the REI but both are okay for me.

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 (sold)
STOC #
Joe, thanks for the campmor link ... more fodder for the studies ...

I'm gonna check closely on the floor length; I'm 6'3" standing, and some of the 1- and 2-man tents I see are cutting it close. Nothing worse than rubbing the walls of the tent when it's raining .......

STOC #
Here is my Apex 2. I think it has a lot of room for two people.

I'm also 6'3 and find it fit me quite well.

I only unpacked and packed it once (so far ! ), so I imagine I might pack it even smaller (maybe with a compression sack...).

But it still fits great in my Givi V46 case.

The poles are 18" and the tent packed now, is 11" x 7"....

My previous tent had 24" pole sections and I would strap it to the bike, with the rest of the tent in a case.

Cheers,

Attachments

Top Bottom