Alternator Type

Bike
ST 11000
On my ST1100 I want to determine if its the stock alternator or the one thats replaced it?

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
Need to know what year your ST1100 is? 91 thru 95 had 28 amp and they switched to a 40 amp in 96. If you think it's been replaced, look at it. The 28 amps run in oil and the 40 amps you will see that it's air cooled. Hope this helps.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
What year is your ST1100? If it's a '96 or newer you'll have the 40A upgraded one from the factory. On pre-'96 models there's several ways to tell. Pop off the left side cover under the seat. Is there a large voltage regulator/rectifier bolted to the aluminum foot peg/muffler carrier plate? If so you probably still have the 28A unit installed, for the 40A there will be a fuse or fusible link installed there. To make sure, look up under the lower left rear of the engine/transmission. You can use a mirror or pop off the small gray panel just inboard of your left foot when placed on the peg. The 40A unit will have a vented case with ribs as it's air cooled, it looks exactly like a small automotive unit, while the older 28A unit will appear as a smooth, closed cover, it's oil cooled.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
There are pics of the Voltage Regulator on my Picasa album here, from the Gilroy Garlic Tech day last weekend. The 8-wire white connector (only 6 wires) is prone to heat damage, so if ya have the 28 do check it out. We repaired Todd's connector with a little spit 'n elbow grease. Also check the connector on top of the starter relay just above and to the left of the VR/R.

If ya have the 40 amp (no VR/R) less to worry about tho some folks in England have had trouble with it too.

PoST back with yur results, we're always intereSTed. :D

The connector has been removed in this pic as the white plastic plug was cooked along with two of the wire spade connectors. They've been replaced here.

In this pic, Todd is bolting the VR/R into place. You can see the red connector just left and above for the starter relay in this pic too. It looked good on Todd's bike.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Did you identify your alternator as to 28 amp type or 42 amp type?

After that there is another wrinkle as the outputs vary for the 28 amp units from 28 amps up to about 33 amps. which I have measured. It would be interesting to hear of other data.

The 42 amp alternators are in the minority according to my measurements however these typically put out closer to 45 amps. Most of the "42 amp type" are actually 55 amp units which make 59 - 60 amps. The output can be identified by measuring stator wire diameter, winding coil numbers and dimensions. The easier way is to load test the alternator by use of an ammeter and variable high capacity load.

HIH

Norm

Top Bottom