alternator

Bike
1993 st
I've got a 93 pre 40 amp but with out the need for extra electronics on this bike was wondering if some one could point me in the direction of a new 28, seeing how I got over 80 k out of the first one. A lot of labor involved Honda bills it out to 8 hours so some what leary of a rebuilt.

Bike
'95 ST1100
STOC #
Hey Brantwood: I think a new 28 Amp alternator will probably cost as much as a new 40 Amp alternator. I just completed a 40 Amp upgrade this year with a used alternator. So far so good with the 40 Amp. (knock on wood)

So I have a used 28 Amp with about 60,000 miles that is yours for the price of shipping if you want it. It worked fine when I did the upgrade, I was just ready for some electronic farkling:tools1:

You can get a tool kit and some great advice from members here and also at the list if you want to do it yourself. I'm glad I had help when I did mine, but I know some guys tackle it alone. :grin:

John O. is the keeper of the tool kit and a wealth of knowledge on how to do it.

Just my :tc1:

PS welcome to the site

OP
OP
Bike
1993 st
Thanks John O. I kind of figured the difference in a new 28 and 40 was marginal but I am not sure if my mechanic wil be willing to tackle the upgrade. I have over 80 k on this machine and would have put in a rebuilt by now if the swing arm didn't have to come out but it is one of those things where your in there and I don't want to have to go back in again any time soon. I love this bike but it is becoming a money issue, how much I am dumping in to what it is actually worth. I may take you up on your generosity and roll the dice!

Brian T.

dmcleane

Dave Elliott
Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
I had a new 28 amp alternator put in my old '95 because I couldn't afford the upgrade at the time. Parts and labor were just under $600 for the 28 amp and I was back on the road right away. At the time it was the right thing to do. I couldn't afford for the bike to be laid up for any amount of time as it was my "wheels" for getting home to take care of my dad on weekends. If circumstances had been different for me at the time I would have waited and done the upgrade. As it is I still have the '95 with about 20,000 miles on the new 28 amp alternator (and a new timing belt), and I have my '01 fully farkled with electric gadgets (but needing to do the timing belt pretty soon). You'll have to decide your priorities, but having the 40 amp alternator opens up a jillion farkling possibilities (hmmm, maybe that's not a good thing:D).

Good luck whatever you do.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
The swing arm has to come off whichever way you go. The difference in labor, like the parts price, is marginal. If you have to also replace the regulator as well, the 28A system is actually more expensive. No way I'd put another 28A unit in there.

OP
OP
Bike
1993 st
Thank you wjbertrand, Quite impressive credentials I might add, only got as far as an undergraduate in Biology myself before life blew me in other directions. Which is probably one of the main attractions to the freedom of riding a motorcycle.
That marginal difference in cost is swaying me towards a 40 amp if I can find some one in the boston area with prior experience of refitting an st.
Thanks again for the response, be safe and enjoy that beautiful riding weather in CA.
Brian

Bike
'07 BMW K1200GT
Hi Brian -
My '94 ST1100 may also need an alternator. The Voltage regulator consumed itself (smoke, burnt wires...etc) on Saturday on the way up 28 in Randolph. Who do you go to for a new alternator? 28 or 40A, I don't care. Bought the bike in May, just want to keep riding. Right now, bike dead in driveway, not charging w/ 2k-4k RPM. Going to replace regulator w/ aftermarket and go from there. In Avon. Thank you

Greg

Bike
'07 BMW K1200GT
Any followup, Brian (and Greg)? What did you end up doing?
John - I ended up w/ a new VRR and performed the red-wire bypass surgery; since the plastic connector was already melted at the main fuse block. All seems well, but the wire temps seem a bit high. I have not gotten to the point of skinning back the electrical tape in the harness to see which wire(s) is the culprit.

Thanks,

G

Bike
ST1100ar 1994
As some of you may know my VRR melted, i have replaced it but i think i also need a new Generator/Alternator, As a little test today i disconnect the earth (it was easiest) and the bike died straight away, Is this an indication of anything (apart from i have no battery earth) IE generator not producing enough load. I though may be the bike generated its own earth from the alternator as well as positive. With lights, main beam etc my volts drop to about 11.05 never seen it reach the magic 13 let alone 13.5v Switch every thing off and im up to about 12.05 (engine on)

Bike
1991 ST1100
STOC #
The 28 amp alternator uses electromagnets instead of permanent magnets. Without battery voltage they can not make voltage.

Bike
ST1100ar 1994
Is it not the other way around?
Either way, It explains that question. Thanks. Is there a way to actually test the generator, seeing that got a used VRR I need to eliminate the actuall issue, Generator or VRR. I hate the thought of spending money on a part to find it wasnt that.

Top Bottom