Am I a hoarder?

Not saying I will but there’s a ‘91 on cycle trader near me that I’m thinking about. The question I have is, does that year have the bigger alternator on it? Heard the smaller one was problematic. Have my 03 already and a 11 Kawasaki Versus 650, but seller only wants $1000 for the 91. Should I buy or just calm down and stay off CycleTrader? I may have a hoarding problem.

The 28 amp alternator on the ST's made thru 1995 have experienced problems. It's an oil cooled design which ads complexity AND there are some design issues with the wiring between the alternator and fuse blocks. There is an improvement for the wiring problem referred to as the 'red wire bypass' which you can find by searching on this website. This area also requires frequent inspection for over heated insulation and corrosion at the connectors....it's all down low and subject to splashing water. The alternator can develop an oil leak at the seal where the wiring exits the aft side of the alternator. There is no easy fix for this and a leak here usually, not always, means failure is coming. I just inspect this area frequently...remove the seat, left saddlebag, left side cover and it's all there in plain sight.
That aside....our 1991's alternator is still functioning as it should after 32 years.
It may be a good idea to check under the plastic work of any potential ST purchase. If the seller won't permit, there's likely a good reason.

I would say it comes down to available space for the non running ST and your desire to have a parts bike (not sure if the 03 is a 1300 or 1100 police bike) from which you can source parts. Plus, the desire to tear into an old bike just for a specific part. For me, I’d say no, and if I needed something specific for mine, I’d just scour eBay or the like to find what I need and Partzilla if the parts are still available as new. If the 91 is a runner and you’ll use it regularly (and have the space as well as really want it), then go for it. As I get older, I feel a need to simplify (3 bikes and 3 cars usually means for me a project that has to be done on at least one of them- fewer vehicles = fewer projects).

Back
Top Bottom