Another Bad Thermostat

KJM

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
The privious thread is so long, I thought it time to start a new one. My T-Stat failed around 22,000mi black 06. Below 60 degrees I was getting two bar's and below 50 degrees one bar. It makes me wonder if it were summer time I could possibley have a bad t-stat for months and not know it untill the temperatures droped below 50 degrees. I have flushed the system, no luck still one to two bars. I am going to replace the T-Stat, In the previous thread I read of a replacement T-Stat by "TurboCity" and can not locate one re google, Ca. Sport touring etc. Anyone know where to find one? or have any input on the quality of these replacement parts. Also located the article in the "St1300 Articles" section under service how to replace the T-stat without removing the gas tank or Throttle bodie, wow what a time and trouble saver, anyone have any experience with this method of replacement? It was written by Mello so I do have a lot of confidence in the method. the dealer was a week + on trouble shooting, getting ???? approval from Honda????? and replaceing so as I already have the bike substancialy torn dn I am going to do it myself.

STOC #
The thermostat is easy to change, remove the plastic, radiator, and 1 bracket and its right there. Its a good time to do a coolant flush as the only way to remove all the antifreeze from the radiator is to take it off the bike. Dont forget to tighten all the other hoseclamps while you have it apart.

gary

I remember somewhere, no doubt got the info here, someone talked about overspray paint on the insides of the rad. hose necks. When I changed mine I found paint peeling in these areas. It was mentioned as a possible cause of a sticking thermostat. I cleaned the paint out and flushed the rad before reassamblie. It is still working, although it been only a few thousand miles.

STOC #
Still think some pressure needs to be put on Mother Honda to make them admit that there really is a problem. Maybe if I tell them that I will never move up to a 1300 from my 1100 because of all of the thermostat grief???

Great idea!! I'll just quit my job and make a crusade out of getting Honda to admit there's a problem with that thermostat................Just kidding, it's really not that big a deal, chances are you will have to get right in at that area anyway to tighten up the lousy screw clamps they used anyway!! And if you want to flush the coolant????????

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I would suggest replacing the thermostat housing o-ring with a Honda thermostat housing o-ring. I replaced my thermostat (march 07 @18K) with a Turbo Tom and the o-ring that came with his failed after about 12K. (last October is when I could smell the leak) It was just this weekend when I discovered where the leak was coming from (5K later). :(

Okay, so I took 5k to get to it? :rolleyes:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
I would suggest replacing the thermostat housing o-ring with a Honda thermostat housing o-ring. I replaced my thermostat (march 07 @18K) with a Turbo Tom and the o-ring that came with his failed after about 12K. (last October is when I could smell the leak) It was just this weekend when I discovered where the leak was coming from (5K later). :(

Okay, so I took 5k to get to it? :rolleyes:
I'll second that. Nothing against the o-ring TT provides, but it is skinnier than Honda's. Why roll the dice on a $2 item given everything else you've got invested in the replacement. BTW, don't forget to check your hose clamps while you're at it.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how it goes.

John

OP
OP
KJM

KJM

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks everyone for your help, Gearedup re tightening the other hose clamps while I had the rad off. I had no leaks here however all of them were not close to being as tight as I with my limited knowledge thought they should be. But I did tighten them. George, thanks for the tip on how to find Turbocitytom, got the t-stat in 4 days. hgerrick, darn I missed, forgot re checking for paint chips. SupraSabre re the honda O ring, I bought it however after turning the garage and house upside down 3 times over some how lost it, I can only imagine I must have dropped it between the garage and the house and last Saturday's rain washed it dn the storm drains. ***** I had a choice to make, to use the TurboCT - o - ring or the used one I took off, due to the difference in size I chose the used O ring whick was in great shape, I sprayed it with some WD-40 and make sure to align the 4 indetations on the O ring with the protrusions on the housing. After 3 days she is holding tight, and I have my 3 bars back. However will monitor closeley for the next couple K miles. Thank you again everyone for your help.

OP
OP
KJM

KJM

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Thanks everyone for your help, Gearedup re tightening the other hose clamps while I had the rad off. I had no leaks here however all of them were not close to being as tight as I with my limited knowledge thought they should be. But I did tighten them. George, thanks for the tip on how to find Turbocitytom, got the t-stat in 4 days. hgerrick, darn I missed, forgot re checking for paint chips. SupraSabre re the honda O ring, I bought it however after turning the garage and house upside down 3 times over some how lost it, I can only imagine I must have dropped it between the garage and the house and last Saturday's rain washed it dn the storm drains. ***** I had a choice to make, to use the TurboCT - o - ring or the used one I took off, due to the difference in size I chose the used O ring whick was in great shape, I sprayed it with some WD-40 and make sure to align the 4 indetations on the O ring with the protrusions on the housing. After 3 days she is holding tight, and I have my 3 bars back. However will monitor closeley for the next couple K miles. Thank you again everyone for your help.
I have 2,316 miles and the used O-ring is holding up better than my tire's are

PNWSTMan

Coaster
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I called Honda's customer care line and was arguing with them that this is really a problem. I told them about this web sites members having many many issues with T-stats. I was informed that this site carries no weight with Honda due to the stretches of the truth and emotions that get vented. I thought that this site would have influence but by what I was told it has almost the opposite effect.
I was told to purchase the extended warranty so IF it does fail it would be covered. my responce was
Why would I spend hundreds of dollars on a warranty that doesn't even serve me now?
I asked if I replaced the T-stat would they reimberse me if proven that stat has failed and was told no....:confused:

STOC #
File an NHTSA report. The stuck thermostat is leading to excessive emissions. I am convinced that this is the only way to get Honda's attention on this problem.

Top Bottom