Another Michelin review.....

After 6,000 miles on the Donflops it was time for fresh rubber, I went with the Pilot Roads with a 180/55-17 in the rear. The freakin' dildo at my local dealership put 40 lbs. in the rear and 36 (or so he said) in the front, turned out to be 34 after I checked them after cooling off at home. I was literally HATING life having the dreaded "death wobble" at anything over 75 mph, boy was I pissed off, not so much at the wobble but at the previously mentioned dildo that swore the bike needed 36 psi in the front. Anyway, after I put 42 psi front and rear the wobble was completely gone, I recall reading a post about them being sensitive to pressure and I can now second this sentiment. I also read about how compliant they were and I can tell y'all this, at 42 psi they are significantly softer a ride than the Dunflops at 38 psi, definitely a plus! About the howl, I could hear a it a bit if I really listened for it but by no means an issue for me. And now about the performance: I was really leaning toward the Z6's for their sticky reputation but I took a role of the dice and decided the added mileage might be worthwhile, I had the Dunflops break traction more than once and it was truly unnerving, I would definitely consider my self an agressive rider and my previous two Hondas were an RC51 and CBR1000RR so it's safe to say I approach tire limits fairly easily on the ST, all I have is praise for the traction the Pilots offer after my maiden 120 mile backroad blast. I scuffed them in for about 25 miles then let 'em have it, not one break of traction! I'm totally sold, these will be the only tires I mount on my STeed from here on out, I highly recommend, thanks for listening!

Oh don't tell nm6r or we're really gonna hear it. :D I'm just giving Ray a hard time. Everyone likes a different tire for a different reason although I don't know if I've seen anyone that preferred the Dunlops yet.

Glad you like the tires. I think you'll like their grip in the rain also.

Curt

As my friend Curt the whining *** clown so ably states, PRs are great in the rain. Ask my compatriots who rode with me through the deluges that were DackSTOC and NESTOC...PRs stick. I'm on my second set and love 'em. (Oh, and I love Ray, too.)

Bones said:
As my friend Curt the whining *** clown so ably states, PRs are great in the rain. Ask my compatriots who rode with me through the deluges that were DackSTOC and NESTOC...PRs stick. I'm on my second set and love 'em. (Oh, and I love Ray, too.)

+1 love the wet road factor... oh, love the Ray-ster too ;)

I forgot about my water story. Running 80+ in a mahor down pour with hard braking and didn't slip one. Also rode through over a foot of water in downtown Minneapolis on the Minnesota 1000 and didn't slip there either. Ran 80+ on gravel with no issues too.

Curt

:rolleyes:
crazykz said:
I forgot about my water story. Running 80+ in a mahor down pour with hard braking and didn't slip one. Also rode through over a foot of water in downtown Minneapolis on the Minnesota 1000 and didn't slip there either. Ran 80+ on gravel with no issues too.

Curt
But do you love Ray? Just trying to gauge whether there's a trend building here.

Going on almost 10K with mine..shees I can't believe it...

Still going strong...I've been in my share of rain this year as well.

For those that have swapped them out, what did you wind up with mileage when you needed to change..Bones? Curt?

Edit:
OH BTW...I love Ray too...especially his old avatars...man I miss those..damm Political correctness to hell! All I've got now is Curt's adventures and some of his great pictures..(Curt when is your next ride hee hee)

Kempo-STer said:
Going on almost 10K with mine..shees I can't believe it...

Still going strong...I've been in my share of rain this year as well.

For those that have swapped them out, what did you wind up with mileage when you needed to change..Bones? Curt?

Mine were pretty spent at 10,000. KempSan, I know you love Ray...it's just your nature that you love everyone!

Bones said:
Mine were pretty spent at 10,000. KempSan, I know you love Ray...it's just your nature that you love everyone!

Thanks..true enough..why make enemies when you can have friends...

Ok stupid question, how do you know a tire is shot? wear bars..tread thickness??....

I used a set of PR's for my last big trip. They lasted the whole trip and I even kept them on when I got home. It was at least 11000 miles. If I didn't have to run the Minnesota 1000 I would have kept them on longer.

My next big ride is at the beggining of August but it's a rally. It's Team Strange's ButtLite IV.

Yes, I love Ray too.

Curt

crazykz said:
My next big ride is at the beggining of August but it's a rally. It's Team Strange's ButtLite IV.

Thnaks Curt..make sure you get another picture like last time :D

Kempo-STer said:
Ok stupid question, how do you know a tire is shot?
wear bars..tread thickness??....

For me it's when they get rumbly in the curves. I assume that comes from cupping and different wear rates at different points on the tread. This has tended to coincide with wear bars on my 3 sets of ST tires and 3 sets on my PC.

I'd like to see what the high mileage guys say about this. Curt?

Bones said:
For me it's when they get rumbly in the curves. I assume that comes from cupping and different wear rates at different points on the tread. This has tended to coincide with wear bars on my 3 sets of ST tires and 3 sets on my PC.

I'd like to see what the high mileage guys say about this. Curt?

You know since I do so much interstate the center wear out the quickest and that's what I usually look at is the tread in the center. The turning for me becomes an issue when they get flatspotted from the interstate miles. They don't flat spot as bad as the Bridgestones did but when they do they get squirrly in the corners and you get the sudden rollover when it gets to the edge of the flatspot. Any tire is going to do that but the PR's seem to do it less than others but at that point I have to replace them. It gets to be too big of a risk on long rides.

Curt

STPilot said:
It was interesting, while on our recent Sierra Passes trip, Ray had me pull up along side of him and "I" could hear the howling from the tires... That would drive me insane!:confused: Reminded me of my old Jeep CJ driving down the freeway..

I don't wear earplugs very often, and since I ride with the shield up the tire noise is very annoying to me between 50-55mph. Other than that, I really like the PRs. I know a lot of riders ride with the shield down and using earplugs, so that helps mask the tire roar.

Come tire replacement time, I think I'm heading back to the OEM Bridgestones. I had no problems with them, and they didn't make much noise.

I'm gonna stick my neck out here. The stock Bridgstone tires suck. But I have to say they do very well in the rain.
I have been a life long Dunlop rider.
Tried Metzlers years ago and didn't like.
I just installed the all new and improved Dunlops on the Pacific Coast and they are much more stickier than the the old.
The Bridgestones on the St have 11000 miles on them, will have to replace the rear soon but the front has done much better on mileage.
Bigfish

Bigfish said:
I'm gonna stick my neck out here. The stock Bridgstone tires suck. But I have to say they do very well in the rain.
I have been a life long Dunlop rider.
Tried Metzlers years ago and didn't like.
I just installed the all new and improved Dunlops on the Pacific Coast and they are much more stickier than the the old.
The Bridgestones on the St have 11000 miles on them, will have to replace the rear soon but the front has done much better on mileage.
Bigfish

I'll be curious to know if the new Dunlops are any better. You've tried a couple of sets that I've tried plus the Dunlops. I would be curious to know what you think of the Pilot Roads but I don't know if they have sizes for the 1100.

Curt

i didn't like my stock 020's so i went ahead and bought 2 sets of pilot roads (1 on the bike right now, the 020's are sitting in the garage with only 800 miles on them) in either case, i can vouch for the pilot roads, but i went witht he stock size, if you could give us your impressions of how the bike feels with a 180/55/17 on the back would be great...

safe riding !

I lean and lean and lean... drag shoes and pegs... still a 1/4 to 1/2 inch chicken strip... love these tires :p:

Living up to your name?

crazykz said:
Ran 80+ on gravel with no issues too. Curt

Curt, damn! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do that. :D I use to tear up the gravel roads in SE Iowa when I lived there. None of my friends would ride with me. Guess I never rode with you....:bow1:

Yeah, I love Ray too. Although he might be a bit opinionated about the PRs.;)

Back
Top Bottom