Another Uni-go Thread . . .

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
. . . and its NOT another horror story!

So, after buying a used Uni-go back in the winter of 2008 and having to sit out the entire 2009 riding season, I finally got the hitch and wiring installed and the trailer ready to go a couple of weeks ago. While I was sitting with the trailer in storage, I read about the nightmare experiences of Joe and Sue and began to wonder if I'd made a huge mistake. With their experiences in mind, I've been carefully testing the trailer with 20 - 25 mile test runs on the interstate before I strike off on any longer trips. So far, so good.

In clean air on the interstate, the trailer tows beautifully up to about 75 - 80 mph (80 - 85 mph registered). Above 75, I do begin to get some side to side "wiggle" action going. The "wiggle" is not comfortable and I wouldn't care to experience that for very long, but its not so severe as to be unnerving. Its a fairly predictable side to side action - nothing violent or scary, just a gentle reminder that I am, indeed, towing a trailer.

In dirty air, behind tractor trailers, for example, it varies. I assume it varies because of the different shapes of the tractor trailers, but sometimes the turbulence is hardly noticeable at 70 - 75 actual mph and for other rigs, the wiggling kicks in at 65 mph. In the later instances, I've found powering around the rigs the best course of action - just as I would if I wasn't towing the trailer. And as I power around the rig, the trailer behaves very predictably and generally evens out completely once I'm more or less beside the big rig.

I haven't tested the trailer for extended time above 80 mph or at speeds greater than 85 mph for any period of time because, quite frankly, I don't intend to tow the thing that fast. I bought the trailer primarily for traveling with my wife, so running in excess of 80mph for an extended period of time isn't on the agenda for those trips anyway.

As for the mountain backroads. . . it is awesome. I can't imagine a trailer being any LESS noticeable in the twisties. While I'm not planning to challenge any sportbikes while pulling this trailer through the mountains, I can certainly move along at a brisk mountain pace that makes me forget the trailer is back there.

In conclusion, if I were not aware of Joe and Sue's experiences, I'm not sure I would even report the turbulence I do feel as anything unexpected. In fairness, I've never towed a two wheel trailer with a motorcycle, so my expectations may be lower than others, but I should "know it when I see it" in regard to dangerous trailer movement, right? I'm also aware that my preferred cruising speed on the interstate may be lower than others', so if you plan to routinely travel in excess of 80 mph with a trailer, I can concur that the uni-go will give you some problems behind the ST1300. But in my case, I think it will work.

Chance

Taming the dragon!
Bike
'07 ST1300
GREAT! I'm in your camp I think on this. If I'm towing a trailer I'm not going to be trying to win races. I can see how some people might wanna 'keep up' with the pack. If I am towing a trailer, I'm going to act like it. I'm not the only fool on the road.

Congrats! Looking forward to reading about your first 'real' experience towing on a trip.

B-safe.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Glad to hear it works for you, I agree with your assessment of the characteristics.

It's quite possible, I lack the self-control to pull this trailer.. :rofl1:

Bike
BMW K1600 GTL
STOC #
Thanks for the write up.
I towed mine behind our Goldwing for 3200 miles with out any issue at speeds up to 95mph. I was traveling across Kansas to and from Colorado, you understand I'm sure. The only issue was as described earlier with dirty air behind semi-tractor trailers. Towed in the mountains of Colorado around the Colorado Springs, Durango, and Taos NM regions. Barely knew it was there. Had to have the wife periodically check behind to make sure all was good.
Looking to sell the Goldwing so I will probably be getting a hitch for the ST next spring. It will be interesting sto see the difference between the two bikes

OP
OP
Gamecock

Gamecock

Hey Y'all, Watch This!
Bike
2006 FJR
Just completed a 5 day, 750 mile trip in the mountains with my wife on the back and pulling the uni-go. The little trailer performed flawlessly. I've got three soft sided (with no stiff tubing in the ends)duffle bags that work very well for packing the trailer. Being soft-sided, they conform to the odd shape of the interior of the trailer very nicely. We had 55 lbs of gear (mostly clothes) in the trailer. In clean air on the interstate, it towed wonderfully up to around 75mph. Didn't really test it much above that. On busier stretches, with lots of trucks, I felt it occasionally, but was still able to tour comfortably at about 70mph. In the mountains, it was awesome. I literally hardly ever felt the thing. The trailer had a much, much smaller effect on the overall handling of the bike than the addition of a passenger did.

From a practical standpoint, the trailer just made traveling with the wife so much better. She has always tolerated traveling on the bike, but her tolerance goes down considerably with every additional night on the road after the 2nd night. Let's just say she's not the lightest packer in the world. She doesn't have to bring a steamer trunk with her, but, unlike me, she's not going to wear the same pants for 3 straight days. And since we're ATGATT types, getting off the bike for a brief tourist stop always left us with the problem of how to secure our helmets and gear while we were away from the bike. The trailer solves most of those problems. There's no way we could have ever packed enough clothes for a 5 night fall trip in the mountains (where we planned to do some hiking in temps. varying from the 30s to the 80s) without the trailer.

Oh, and we spent two nights in a first-floor hotel room - its hard to beat the convenience of wheeling the little trailer right into the room.

Overall, a very successful first trip with the uni-go.

Top Bottom