Anyone have their battery die while on the tender?

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I always put mine on the tender when I park the ST in the garage. I noticed today the light on the tender is red so I unplugged it and plugged it back in again. I didn't have my key in my pocket so I didn't try the ignition at the time. Later I noticed it was till red so I unplugged it from the bike and back in again. Still stayed red after a while so i grabbed the key and tried the ignition.
No lights. I could hear the fuel pump cycle lightly. Nothing when I hit the button.

Haven't torn into it yet because I had to leave. The battery is the Yuasa and only about 2 years old. I never killed it or had any drain issues.

3 1/2 years and mine died with the same symptoms and treatment, right down to the tender.

The battery is the Yuasa and only about 2 years old. I never killed it or had any drain issues.

You're describing almost verbatim the reason why I went to a Shorai. 3 - 4 years was about the best I could do with the sealed Yuasa and they failed because they DRIED OUT from engine heat and hot riding. The Yuasa was the best for longevity, too.

Try this as a test... Gently pry up the seal strip with a jeweller's screwdriver and pour distilled water into each cell, just enough to moisten the glass, then put it back on your tender or charger. I'll bet it works again. How long? That depends on how hot the environment is you ride in.

Ross

I have had four batteries on some smaller bikes that have died just like that on the battery tender.

Try this as a test... Gently pry up the seal strip with a jeweller's screwdriver and pour distilled water into each cell, just enough to moisten the glass, then put it back on your tender or charger. I'll bet it works again. How long? That depends on how hot the environment is you ride in.
Ross
Has anyone tried this before.
Mine is getting weak and was wondering if this has been proven before.

There is a huge difference between OEM Yuasa batteries and Yuasa replacements. My last replacement only lasted 8 months always on the tender when not being ridden. Went to a Bike Master gel battery. Much better quality

I got 6 years out of the battery on my PC 800 and it was on a tender all the time when I was not riding. It would sit for 3-4 months over the winter when I could not ride. I got 6 years out of the original ST battery, and it was on a tender all the time also. It would sit for a month or two without being unhooked. I changed it out after 6 years before a big trip just to be safe. I also replaced it with a Bike Master Gel. My NX 650 sits for months at a time without use and the battery is on a tender. 5 years off the last battery. Do you have something that would be on giving a constant draw?

I'm beginning to wonder about the float value on these Tenders,
I know some battery backups will eventually fry their batteries because it doesn't reduce the charging voltage once the battery is fully charged.
I use my tender intermittently instead of leaving it on all the time.

It appears that I have had the same issue. Battery was new this past summer. Always on a tender when parked.
Battery is now toast. Granted it was not a Yuasa but a "generic" from a large battery store.
I have all our bikes on tenders of one brand or another plus my cages and have not had any issues with them. I think it is the battery's fault in this case.

Rod

I'm beginning to wonder about the float value on these Tenders,
I know some battery backups will eventually fry their batteries because it doesn't reduce the charging voltage once the battery is fully charged.
I use my tender intermittently instead of leaving it on all the time.

Unless your farkles have an additional drain beyond the normal bike off load once a month or so should be ok.

The battery tender brand. (deltran) does a bulk charge then top off than maintance mode.
Bulk charge on mine 1.3amps little more than rated 1.25a. Which is ok for yuasa.
Tops off to about 14.2volts It doesn't do any float equalization desulphation shennanigans at higher voltages.

It sits somewhere around 13.0 iirc in maintaince mode.
(Note been awhile since I measured it, numbers are appox. measured at room temp I do remember resting voltage was 12.401 at start of cycle)

OT my rat shack multiguesser was 0.2v off from my calibrated fluke! Make sure you're checking real numbers.

Last edited:
Well, I went back to my dealer and I purchased it May 2010. It's dead so I ordered one from the guy on here selling them for $65. I figured it was almost half the price of a replacement from Honda, which was $125.

Back
Top Bottom