Anyone lift an ST1300 with a J&S motorcycle lift?

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I have a J&S lift, mainly for my Harley. The J&S website says the lift is not to be used for an ST1300. Has anyone done this, and if so, what modifications did you do to safely lift the bike without causing damage? I'd like to lift the bike mainly for cleaning purposes while seated on a shop stool.

Thanks!
Scott

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
They say that because this type of jack is intended to jack on the bike frame rails. Unlike a Harley the frame on the ST1300 sits above the fairing so the jack arms will come in to contact with the fairing before the frame. You can make yourself an adapter plate that sits on the two arms of the lift so that the force of the jack will be exerted on the oil pan before coming in to contact with the fairing. Essentially turning it in to a centre jack. It can be as simple as a piece of plywood. As long as the bike is fairly well balanced on the jack and well tied down you will be alright. I have a similar type jack and have used it in this way. If you do this lift it slowly at first to see how well the ST is balanced on your jack and how stable it is.

Here is an example of another option of a more extensive modification to turn it in to a lift table- Modified Lift

Bike
1994 ST1100
I have a UK equivalent and used it to rebuild my ST1100. The frame is higher than the engine sump so I had some faffing around to get things arranged safely. I had occasion to use ropes to the garage roof to make sure there were no calamities. I think the issue is not whether the lift is strong enough but the fact that it's designed for dirt bikes or similar with the frame at the bottom of the engine. Have fun...

Top Bottom