Are MMG batteries any good?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Good is a relative term- the real question is, will it save you any money or grief? I don't think the weight savings on a battery are really a great selling point on a 730 lb bike, so, for twice the price of a cheap AGM , it better last longer, or work better. I kinda doubt it will do either. Add to that, you need a special charger for it. Until the price comes down a bit further, or i see a CLEAR advantage, I'll stick with Chromebattery.com's cheap AGM. The one in my former scooter is 6 years old, and still works well....( knock wood) The YTz-14s equivalent on Chromebattery is 39$, and 10% off if you register for emails.

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Howdy, @OreoClapp and welcome to the forum! Check out all this site has to offer. You'll find reliable and sound advice from this community. Also, some good humor, tall tales, and all-around great camaraderie. Don't hesitate to ask your motorcycle questions here!

Hope to see ya 'round the forums!
Sheriff

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
In June/2018 I got a Shorai LFX19A4-BS12 Lithium Battery for my Super Tenere, when I got my Tracer 900GT, I switched that oem battery with this one since it was the same size needed for the Tracer. I love that it holds a charge so long. I haven't started the bike in about 2 months and decided to see if it would start. You would think it's a brand new battery. Also, prior to that I would have the tender connected to the oem battery 24x7 but I've gone 1-2 months between hooking up the charger on the lithium battery and when I do it immediately blinks indicating it's at 90% or better charge.

I do have a battery tender jr that supports lithium or lead/acid batteries

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071L5MBZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bike
2010 ST1300
Welcome aboard. Define 'good'. Will it work? Probably. For how long? Unknown. I've had a Shorai for a couple of years now. It's been reliable, the bike has always started quickly, and I have no real complaints. Oh, and since it's lighter the bike accelerates faster than any other ST out there and it's easier to pick up when I have a tip over. Since I tend to ride conservatively, the former benefit is of dubious value but the latter really makes up for the former. :biggrin:

The downside? My wallet is a lot lighter, and I had no problems with my lead acid battery before the lithium. I'm not sure if this is applicable (depends on the chemistry of the battery) but Fortnine mentioned in his battery video that charging lithium batts when under 30 degrees causes spiky crystals to form on the plates inside that can pierce the insulating membrane between the plates. This leads to a fiery explosion. Not a problem - I don't charge it when its cold.

All in all, I'll go with a cheaper lead acid next time (I did with another bike, after considering a second Shorai).

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I got my 1100 in August of '18 and put in an $88 AGM from Walmart. No battery tender or fuel treatment, just under a Dowco cover outdoors. The past two springs, and every other time, it has started as if it had been ridden the day before.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Any good?
The question that you first need to answer is "How do you define 'good' in the context of a battery?"

To me, 'good' means reliable... the battery needs to start the bike every time, and not leave me stranded somewhere. As @klaproth pointed out, potential weight savings is not a benefit on bikes the size of ours, so, look at the total cost of ownership of the battery over the period of time that you anticipate it will last.

As for me - I buy the OEM Yausa batteries, simply because I know they will work, they have proven reliable, and I have found that they last about 5 to 6 years if properly cared for.

Michael

OP
OP
OreoClapp
Good is a relative term- the real question is, will it save you any money or grief? I don't think the weight savings on a battery are really a great selling point on a 730 lb bike, so, for twice the price of a cheap AGM , it better last longer, or work better. I kinda doubt it will do either. Add to that, you need a special charger for it. Until the price comes down a bit further, or i see a CLEAR advantage, I'll stick with Chromebattery.com's cheap AGM. The one in my former scooter is 6 years old, and still works well....( knock wood) The YTz-14s equivalent on Chromebattery is 39$, and 10% off if you register for emails.
Agree on the price point and weight. I picked up a Mighty Max Gel battery about three years ago as there were no OEM batteries in stock locally, not sure how they can allow that to happen. I paid around $40 for it. It has been great until recently. I pulled it today and noticed it is not a sealed battery and I can add electrolytes to it. May give it one more chance.

OP
OP
OreoClapp
Welcome aboard. Define 'good'. Will it work? Probably. For how long? Unknown. I've had a Shorai for a couple of years now. It's been reliable, the bike has always started quickly, and I have no real complaints. Oh, and since it's lighter the bike accelerates faster than any other ST out there and it's easier to pick up when I have a tip over. Since I tend to ride conservatively, the former benefit is of dubious value but the latter really makes up for the former. :biggrin:

The downside? My wallet is a lot lighter, and I had no problems with my lead acid battery before the lithium. I'm not sure if this is applicable (depends on the chemistry of the battery) but Fortnine mentioned in his battery video that charging lithium batts when under 30 degrees causes spiky crystals to form on the plates inside that can pierce the insulating membrane between the plates. This leads to a fiery explosion. Not a problem - I don't charge it when its cold.

All in all, I'll go with a cheaper lead acid next time (I did with another bike, after considering a second Shorai).
Good to know.

Top Bottom