At the same time?

Bike
2010 ST1300A
Does anyone know of an intercom that will share audio content (from a connected bluetooth phone) and AT THE SAME TIME have an open intercom connection between rider an pillion?

We are currently using an inexpensive unit that does one or the other very well, but not at the same time. And switching between coms and music/audio book is kind of clunky while riding.

If sharing content and having open coms is not available on any unit, is anyone using a unit that makes swapping back and forth easy?

Thanks guys,
Dave

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
Hello Dave:

There are intercom units (headset units) that have the capability of doing what you want (providing both intercom & cell phone capability), but I don't think that you will find one that allows simultaneous intercom & phone usage. One of the two inputs will always take priority over the other.

Not to be confused with headset units that are capable of being paired to two different Bluetooth devices at the same time (e.g. GPS & phone) - again, one of the inputs will always take precedence, you won't be able to hear audio from both sources at the same time.

For what it's worth, I can tell you that you really don't want to be able to hear two sources at the same time. I spent my career flying aircraft, and an aircraft audio panel makes it possible to select two different audio sources (e.g. Com 1 & Com 2, or Com 1 & HF radio) to be delivered to the headset or speaker at the same time. No-one I knew ever made a deliberate selection of two sources at the same time, because the result was unintelligible. It was equally difficult to comprehend when you were listening to a single radio source on the headset and the co-pilot started talking to you on the intercom.

Michael

Bike
2002 ST1300A
STOC #
I can't say I've tried it personally, but the literature with my Cardo Pactalk Bold claims it's possible, with a slight caveat that Michael eluded to.

Apparently in DMC mode, you can broadcast music from your phone etc, to anyone in-range in the DMC group... and you can chat. The way they solve the problem of multiple audio sources, is that the music/podcasts/audio book etc gets muted briefly whenever someone talks (as Michael said, one input takes precedence). When the chatter has stopped, the music returns to it's original volume.

The same thing does work when I give voice commands while I'm listening to music - the music is still audible, but when I say "Hey Cordo!" there is a noticeable but brief drop in the music volume.

The other thing to add, would be to look into the app that you're using on the phone. For example, I listen to podcasts using PocketCasts, if it is interrupted, rather than dimming the volume, it will pause (so you don't miss a bit), and then resume. I've done this countless times using Google Maps, where Maps will interrupt the podcast to give me directions, without the two trying to talk over the top of each other.

Bike
2010 ST1300
For what it's worth, I can tell you that you really don't want to be able to hear two sources at the same time.
Two sources at the same time will be very much like being in a bar when a number of people are talking. If their voices are similar and the same volume you hear gibberish, if significantly different (male voice and higher pitched female voice) you can pick them apart - but you have to work at it. One reason we can hear one person in a crowded bar is because we look at that person and watch for nonverbal facial cues as well as do some lip reading. That's hard to do in a headset, and I suspect the distraction from driving could be a significant contributor to an oops! traffic moment.

I suspect what the OP wants is what Dave said in the last paragraph of his post #3. Everybody hears the music/podcast/radio, but it pauses when either driver or passenger has something to say.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
My Autocom units let me talk with pillion, have music, phone, radar (as priority) and all of it is shared with the pillion, As soon as one of us talks, the music is muted down a percentage but phone and radar still stay at volume. Volume auto increases as wind speed pics up. However, my units are old and not connected via Bluetooth although there are BT type Autocom units available.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Autocom units let me talk with pillion, have music, phone, radar (as priority) and all of it is shared with the pillion, As soon as one of us talks, the music is muted down a percentage but phone and radar still stay at volume. Volume auto increases as wind speed pics up. However, my units are old and not connected via Bluetooth although there are BT type Autocom units available.
Yeah, that's one thing I miss from Autocom. I thought when my brother and I got our Sena units, they would be simple to use and be able to enjoy everything we had before...WRONG!

I'm pretty disappointed in Sena, and I have a set of 30Ks and a Neotech II "built in" unit. I mostly just use the connection to my Garmin (using my Garmin for music).

When Justin and I tried to use our Senas (he had 20K and I used my 30K), we could talk, but one or the other had to shut off the intercom so we could listen to our music again. And with my NeoTech II, when I rode out to Elk Grove (near Sacramento) I found that I cannot charge the unit and listen to music at the same time, like you can with the 30K. I'm mostly using my 30K on my Neotech I, anymore.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sena units do just exactly that. I have a lower older model Sena, SMH5fm, that will talk with another rider or pillion with almost any other model or brand as well as also let me take phone calls or GPS turn by turn voice prompts. Most BT headsets will do this using different channels for phone and comm. The newer Sena units have a feature call Mesh mode that automatically extends the range by jumping from one to another unit for longer distance letting all in a group talk as well as connect to a phone as well as allow any other rider passing by who is also using Mesh to join in while in range.

I don't know of any that will all this AT THE SAME TIME as in simultaneously let you talk to others while also listening to music from your phone or taking phone calls all at the same time. That I know of they all work on feature at a time with a set priority of which connection gets attention over the others. Although my Sena will automatically reconnect to comm or GPS after a phone call has ended.

OP
OP
Dave Pitman
Bike
2010 ST1300A
If audio content (music or whatever) from a paired phone would be shared, and when someone talks, the audio is momentarily muted or volume decreased, and then resumed after a time with no talking, that would be ideal.

The set we have you are on one or the other. If it is on music, it takes a couple of button taps on the host (the one paired with bluetooth device) and a tap on the client to get to intercom. And, if you don't get the sequence right, it requires starting from scratch (for us anyway) to get all connected again. Not great.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
It should be possible to have multiple devices hooked up to a headset, all live at the same time - but I agree it might not be desirable.

I've seen units that connected to your headset(s) and that unit connected to the individual items (think of it as a mixer.)

It's been a while I I can't recall any names, nor if it was wired or wireless.

Something like these wired items that are output only (no mic)....

OP
OP
Dave Pitman
Bike
2010 ST1300A
Apparently in DMC mode, you can broadcast music from your phone etc, to anyone in-range in the DMC group... and you can chat. The way they solve the problem of multiple audio sources, is that the music/podcasts/audio book etc gets muted briefly whenever someone talks (as Michael said, one input takes precedence). When the chatter has stopped, the music returns to it's original volume.
This would be ideal. Generally, we ride alone. All we want is to be able to share content and also to be able to chat without needing a series of button pushes on the headsets. A single button toggle would be acceptable.

OP
OP
Dave Pitman
Bike
2010 ST1300A
It should be possible to have multiple devices hooked up to a headset, all live at the same time - but I agree it might not be desirable.

I've seen units that connected to your headset(s) and that unit connected to the individual items (think of it as a mixer.)

It's been a while I I can't recall any names, nor if it was wired or wireless.

Something like these wired items that are output only (no mic)....

I'm not really wanting to add any more devices in the chain. Just helmet mounted units with a bt connection to a phone.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I use Senas (20 EVOS and 30K) connected by a cord to an Amplirider that OBO mentioned.
The Amplirider mergers and amplifies 3 inputs in to one (in my case GPS, MP3 Player, Radar Detector).
IIRC, when someone speaks via mesh on my 30Ks, the Amplirider is muted.
Since I swap between 4 ST1100s, I did not want to fuss with new BT setups when I ride a different ST1100.
However, you could get a BT dongle, hook it to the Amplirider output and be wireless if you wish.

Reactions: Obo

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
The Sena 20S Evo has both a music sharing feature as well as a audio multitasking feature. This sounds like what you are asking for. See below for excerpts from the user manual.
I would think that any Sena 20S, 30 or 50 series would have these same features.

The music sharing allows a common audio source to be played to two headsets that are connected via an intercom connection. The audio multitasking feature reduces the music volume whenever one of the two parties connected via an intercom connection speaks, and then returns the music to normal volume when speaking stops. It does this automatically without any input form the users.
I know that the audio multitasking works with music, FM radio and GPS inputs. I have never tried the music sharing feature.

There is a member of this forum who is both a Sena and Cardo distributor. I would suggest that you contact him and explain what you want to do, and ask him what communicator will do it.
If he isn't sure, he can contact Sena or Cardo and find out.
His name here is @Motorcycle Dave. He might even still have these on sale- Announcing Dave's SUPER SENA & CARO SALE

The Sena 20 EVO user's manual states the below.

8.3 Music Sharing
You can start sharing music with an intercom friend using Bluetooth stereo music during a two-way intercom conversation.
1. Enter into a two-way intercom and press and hold the Jog Dial for one second to play music.
2. Press and hold the Jog Dial until you hear triple beeps and you will hear a voice prompt saying “Music sharing on”.
3. To track forward or track back, rotate while pressing down the Jog Dial clockwise or counter clockwise.
4. To terminate music sharing, press and hold the Jog Dial until you hear triple beeps and you will hear a voice prompt saying “Music sharing off”.
Please refer to chapter 15 for more information on intercom connections.

Note:
1. Audio Multitasking must be enabled to use music sharing. Please refer to section 21.2 for more details on the Audio Multitasking feature.
2. Both you and your intercom friend can remotely control music playback during music sharing such as track forward and track back.
3. When you have an incoming call, make a phone call, or hear the turn-by-turn voice instruction of GPS during music sharing, the function will be
paused.

21.2 Audio Multitasking
Audio Multitasking allows you to have an intercom conversation while simultaneously listening to music, FM radio, or GPS instructions. The overlaid audio is played in the background with reduced volume whenever there is an intercom conversation and will return to normal volume once the conversation is finished. If this feature is disabled, any incoming or outgoing intercom will interrupt your audio channel.

When the Audio Multitasking setting is enabled, if you talk over the intercom while music is playing, then the music volume will be lowered to play in the background. You can adjust the intercom sensitivity to activate this background music mode.

Bike
2007 ST1300
The Sena 20S Evo has both a music sharing feature as well as a audio multitasking feature. This sounds like what you are asking for. See below for excerpts from the user manual.
I would think that any Sena 20S, 30 or 50 series would have these same features.

The music sharing allows a common audio source to be played to two headsets that are connected via an intercom connection. The audio multitasking feature reduces the music volume whenever one of the two parties connected via an intercom connection speaks, and then returns the music to normal volume when speaking stops. It does this automatically without any input form the users.
I know that the audio multitasking works with music, FM radio and GPS inputs. I have never tried the music sharing feature.
I can confirm that music sharing works between two Sena 20S intercoms. That's the setup I have and I use my phone as the audio source. On long trips I have my phone navigation going, music playing via SiriusXM app and it's all shared to both intercoms. I can also verify that if the passenger tries to adjust their volume and hits the wrong button they can initiate a phone call but that phone call is not shared to both intercoms.

Top Bottom