Autocom super pro avi and tired of plugging in.....

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
We have just bought a Zumo XT - which doesn't have wired input or output - so we are stuck with Bluetooth for sound from the satnav.
Any nav device with an internal speaker can be made to have a wired output, if you just take the time and buy a connector. Just wire the internal speaker leads to a 1/8" plug and have at it. Put some silicone around the wire where it exits the Garmin's case.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
They will re-mold for original owner... don't know the price. :eek:
Yeah, I know but you still have to pay for the Dr or audiologist to do the ear forms and pay to have the driver's put into the new molds. The cheap splugs fit me so well, I'm not messing with my Westones.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
One nice piece of kit is called an Amplirider - which is a three into one wired amplifier running off the bike's power. If communication is not a 'need', it does a fine job of merging three input devices. You could probably hang a Bluetooth dongle off the output 3.5 mm jack and go to a wireless headset.
I have one of those also on my Valkyrie. Its probably 15 years old. Its probably not exactly the same. Mine has a control with to stereo like plugs that controls the volume. Its mounded with some zip ties on the handle bars. Gets a little flaky on occasion due to lack of use but.. It still works.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have one of those also on my Valkyrie. Its probably 15 years old. Its probably not exactly the same. Mine has a control with to stereo like plugs that controls the volume. Its mounded with some zip ties on the handle bars. Gets a little flaky on occasion due to lack of use but.. It still works.
Gary does built in knob and a remote knob option now. He still stands behind his products!

Bike
2005 st1300
I have switched from speakers in my helmet to earbuds. My cardo unit has a jack for different options , which is a huge plus with any system. The thing I am pondering now is I ride solo and have no need for a communicator, so I am thinking I would be better off plugging my earbuds straight into my tablet. I only use it for my music and navigation. A wired connection gives better sound and there is no need to charge the cardo battery or worry about it dying 3/4 of the way through the day.

Reactions: T_C

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I only use it for my music and navigation. A wired connection gives better sound and there is no need to charge the cardo battery or worry about it dying 3/4 of the way through the day.
Sound is definetly better quality without the bluetooth connection, doubt I can honestly tell at speed.

But less worry to remember to charge, less wear-n-tear, no worry about having a bluetooth device where I shouldn't or that it will die part way through my ride.
Still have the wireless communicators for the few times I will need them. Probably need to put an appointment on my calendar to charge them occasionally.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
doubt I can honestly tell at speed.
+1 Since some of both Sena and Cardo units have a 3.5mm jack for speakers then using earbuds probably affords a greater improvement over audio quality than going wired to the source (phone tablet etc). Unless we're listening to a lossless format (FLAC/ALAC/WMV/AIFF etc) we won't get full advantage of wire vs BT anyway. Golden ears may appreciate wired connections with high-end files and 'buds but engine/wind/helmet noise is a great equalizer. And what audio purist wants an equalizer in their sound flow.

There is something to be said for not having to remember to charge devices before stands up but then there's convenience. On a bike the fewer wires from me to it the better.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I bought a lot of new Autocom equipment a few years back and never got around to installing it. Guess I ought to take some pix and post it up in the classifieds section.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I do agree with John that the Autocom is the best. You plug in and can do 14 hour days without recharging. The Autocom works until it doesn't and then you have to buy cables and stuff. I would probably still be using my Autocom if you could find parts for it.
I dont have that problem in the uk. Chainspeed has all the stuff that is needed. And some that they make themselves 'cos they do it better. Look them up.

Like all exposed electronics in torrential rain, they will fail at some point. They never fail when they are not being used, so I carry a spare lead and full mic/earphone headset, just in case. Not has to replace them for a long while. Damn. Thats done it now !

Regarding hard wiring to the speaker on the XT- we need to be able to talk by phone. Chainspeed make a bluetooth module which links the XT to the autocom for stereo out and mic in for calls. It works well in the garage. Just finished wiring everything in.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
Posted my new/unused Autocom gear ...

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I dont have that problem in the uk. Chainspeed has all the stuff that is needed. And some that they make themselves 'cos they do it better. Look them up.

Like all exposed electronics in torrential rain, they will fail at some point. They never fail when they are not being used, so I carry a spare lead and full mic/earphone headset, just in case. Not has to replace them for a long while. Damn. Thats done it now !

Regarding hard wiring to the speaker on the XT- we need to be able to talk by phone. Chainspeed make a bluetooth module which links the XT to the autocom for stereo out and mic in for calls. It works well in the garage. Just finished wiring everything in.
I anxiously await your findings. I recently learned of Chainspeed, and am eyeballing their Bluetooth module. They claimed that it improves upon the Autocom BTM-02-A, but aren't clear in what way.

I have an Active Plus Duo and a Super Pro AVI, and am thinking about switching back to wired for (a) no more battery worries with my 10S, and (b) better quality intercom audio.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I had the Bluetooth dongle on my Autocom and never had any problems with phone calls. I listened to music with my iPod plugged in.

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a bridging loop on the SuperPro Avi which provides 9V power to one of the 3.5 mm jack sockets. It is advisable to snip this, which I have done. My previous Autcom SP Avi suffered this fate, it blew out part of the circuit board when I pluuged into the wrong socket. I still have it and it still works as a test rig at my desk - which is handy. But one of the 3.5mm input channels no longer functions.

What I have tested so far.

The wired intercom between passenger and pillion works as before.
  • The Zumo XT connects to the BTM-03 quite readily, and retains its information for the next time.
  • Phone connects to the Zumo XT OK along with the BTM-03
  • Music from the phone can be routed to the SPAvi or from the MP3 folder - under control of the Zumo media player.
  • XT media player also controls music from Spotify. No separate App needed - the media player just does it gives the same access to pause/play and Skip fwd and bkwrd.
  • If the front/back balance is set appropriately on the SPAvi, both rider and pillion can hear music
  • Both rider and pillion can hear and talk at the same time to the time to the same phone conversation.
  • Music from the XT through the BTM-03 is loud, but controllable from the mixer which gives separate volume levels for Navigation, Media, Phone Calls, and proximity alerts. With a BT device attached, volume control is reliquished to the device connected - so the master volume and the mute are not available. But the mixer volumes all work.
  • Stereo sound quality sounds pretty good wearing my helmet in the garage. It had me fumbling for where to turn down the volume when I first tried it though. But it comes back on at the volume set. I tried turning master volume to zero, and then connecting the BTM-03. It used the mixer volume as previously set.
  • I have yet to work out whether 'Hey Google - play "Comfortably Numb on spotify" ' works over the intercom. Everytime I test it, I can't be sure whether it has got the message through the mic or the whether the phone has heard me.

In short - it does everything that I wanted it to do when I first found out there were no wired connections. I have the previous BT module. I used it a couple of times with my 660 - it worked, but was prone to disconnect, and waited until I was moving before sending a piercing PING into my headphones, and by remote control a double punch in the kidneys from my pillion who was startled by it.

So far, this one is much much better.

I understand that Sam who owns ChainSpeed used to be a key technical worker at Autocom (I suspect that understates what he actually did). Much more so than staff at Autocom since they were taken over - in my experience. He knows this kit like the back of his hand. His son in now the main point of contact and he has the same pleasant manner, always helpful and very knowledgeable about the how this kit works with other bits and pieces.

I've just got to test it on the move to see if I get any interference. Previously my leads from my 590 went to the rear and were taped to the top of the airbox cover to minimise the interference from the ignition. I have put the BTM-03 with the autocom in the rear cowl. Just hoping it is OK there.

I might not get out any time soon - gales, rain, lightning, locusts etc are all forecast over here. We were due to be going on a tour yesterday, but had to cancel due to Covid19. Lucky escape from the weather then !!

Top Bottom