Balancing All the Variables

Bike
2006 ST1300ABS
I've been reading several threads a day learning about my ST1300, and still have a lot to learn.

My question today is related to windshield adjustment, and I haven't seen any specific discussion related to balancing the various pro's and con's of where to put the windshield.

Here is my situation: I'm about 5'9" with seat in lowest setting at the moment. The bike came with a Clearview windshield (21" tall) with a gentle "flip up" on the top edge. As I exceed about 60mph, I get a fair amount of wind noise on my helmet. It not really buffeting, but it is fairly loud. I know my helmet design has some influence on this. It is a newer LS2 full face with some vents on the chin, top, and back. The higher I raise the windshield the less wind noise I experience. I can reduce it about 50% by putting the windshield at just about eye level - where I am looking over the top of the windshield. This position combined with EarPeace Moto ear plugs has been my usual solution on past few rides. Now if I raise the windshield about 1/2 way or further up, the wind noise disappears completely; but I am looking through the windshield. Most folks do not like looking through the windshield, but it really helps with communication when I receive an unexpected phone call or intercom connection from a fellow rider.

Also, if it is raining; I need to raise the windshield above eye level to keep rain off my head.

So far, I have not had a passenger, so no clue what wind or buffeting would be like in the pillion position at this time.

So is this about normal? I know there are a lot of aftermarket shield options out there, is that the issue? Anyone found a good balance of all these variables? I've also considered changing helmets too, but still weighing all my options at this point.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
As stated above, all is normal. Personally I lower the windscreen in the rain because I can't see through it, I let the rain bead of my visor.

A lot of variables to consider; head wind, tail wind, cross wind, wind speeds, traffic ahead. My quietest shield has been the stock, I used a cal sci billboard and had a nice pocket of calm, rain was terrible on the wrong side though. I put a bolt on lip on the stock and the buffeting from trucks was bad, I pulled I, switched to a bike quip and that is a goldilocks to me.

Your seating position and helmet will matter also. Try riding around a bit with it all the way down and then move it up slightly (not at highway speeds) taking note of noise and buffeting as you raise it. Still, it will change with all the other factors I mentioned. Good luck.

OP
OP
oilspot
Bike
2006 ST1300ABS
Must be ur 1st motorcycle with a windshield. All is normal as you describe. I wear ear plugs all the time..

Keep riding
Thanks.
My second bike with windshield; but first with a fairing. The shadow just had a memphis shades wind screen and it took a lot of trial and error to get something comfortable.

Yes, I will probably wear the ear plugs most trips. The other benefit is it dampens the sound from my friends' HD bikes with LAF pipes. I get a headache riding behind them without ear plugs.

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I have a Bike-Quip shield which is a lot like your Clearview. I'm 6'1"and sit with the seat on the highest setting and the windshield in the lowest setting pretty much all the time. The wind hit me about mid face shield, but with ear plugs it's not bad (Shoei helmet) and I can listen to music or receive a phone call.

Bike
2010 ST1300
It's all personal preference. I always rode with the shield up and me looking through it. After about a year or so I changed out the OEM for a CalSci and did a review of it in another thread. The Calsci was a bit quieter (2" taller and wider) but all in all, I questioned if the difference was worth the better part of $200. The new windshield did have a vent hole in the middle. It was artfully located so that (rain)water would bead up on the lip and then dislodge, flying up and under my visor to smack me on my face.

STOC #
My experience with the adjustments is much like yours. I don’t like looking through it either but in some situations it beats the alternative. Nice to have the choice of adjustment for sure.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I rode from the late 1950's until 2014 without a windscreen of any sort. Suppose that's why I'm pleased with the ST windscreens/bodywork.

Top Bottom