Ballastic Battery

Bike
03 ST1300
I,ve been thinking about buying a new ballastic battery. Does anyone have any updates on the ballastic battery that you have bought ??

The one in my KLR is working just fine, but there's no parasitic drain on it. I still keep it on a battery tender. The one Desmo Steve had on his Ducati went belly up in about a year.

I've just installed one of these in my XR1200x.
http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx36c/

The same battery (and the less expensive ETX24) will fit the ST1300
http://earthxmotorsports.com/shop/etx24c/

Both have more CCA than the OEM Yuasa.

One advantage the Earth-X has over the Ballistic is the built-in cell balancing circuitry, which also protects against overcharging. (The cell balancing charger for the Ballistic costs more than the price difference between it and the Earth-X.)

My ETX36C weighs 3.3 pounds. I believe that the ETX24C is about a pound less, and considerably cheaper. I went with the higher powered ETX36C (which is contained in the same size case) because the XR is really hard to crank. When the ST needs a new battery I'll probably bite the bullet and buy an ETX36C for it, as well.

thanks for the input guys,, I was just wanting a little more cca,s without having to pay for it with an arm or leg,,lol. Al,, i do have one of those batteries from the deal online, so far so good.

I'm NOT a battery expert by any means and have only ever used two with my 3 STs: Yusa and Ballistic. Here's some Ballistic Battery notes and a possible correction.

I ran a Ballistic battery in my STs for over 100k miles in 120 degree Death Valley Heat and Pennsylvania -2 to +5 degrees in February with never a problem. It was in the cold below 10 degrees for 3 days and nights and each morning when even the 5 wt synthetic oil was a bit thick and sludgy, the battery never quit, just kept cranking away until the bike started up!

Another attribute the Ballistic (maybe other battery brands have caught up) is that the on the shelf (or bike parked and off) discharge is nearly nothing. No need to maintain it with a charger. Unless there's something new about these batteries, I don't know anything about a "cell balancing charger" being required. On the rare occasion that I did hook up a charger (while installing farkles in the garage), I just used my plain old Delran Battery Tender Plus . . . no problems. Worked fine.

Lastly, the Ballistic battery is smaller and a lot lighter, an easy fit into an ST using the foam that comes in the box with the battery to make spacers.

FWIW,
Shuey

thanks for the info Shuey, I knew you had used the Ballastic and thought you had good luck with them . How are you liking the FJR

thanks for the info Shuey, I knew you had used the Ballastic and thought you had good luck with them . How are you liking the FJR

The FJR is just a different horse than the 3 STs and . . . we're bonding together nicely. I'm not completely confident yet that I'm a good enough rider to have this bike, but I'm learning.

Shuey

Back
Top Bottom