OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
@jfheath @Gerhard @ST Gui @Tor I did run Activity Monitor, and as you (ST Gui) suspected it was taxing the system. I ran it a few ways, just BC, BC w/ XT plugged in, w/ GE running and so on. Running just BC to create a route and then plugging on XT was the least frustrating. I will consider an upgrade later this month.

Now off to learn:
3) How to create a few WayPoints using the Flag tool and name them as you want them.
4) How to create a Route using the your saved Waypoints.
5) How to use the insert tool to add in additional route points to force the route along particular roads.

Thanks to all for your help thus far.

OP
OP
Willsmotorcycle

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Thanks, Peter. I had ignored this thread as the heading seemed to be about Basecamp and the Mac. I know nothing about the Mac at all. Its a computer of some sort, yes ?

BUT - I know heck of a lot about Basecamp. And I know even more about how the Zumos - the 590, 595 and the XT interact with the files that Basecamp creates.

@Willsmotorcycle - you don't need to know everything that there is to know about Basecamp. If you do that, and follow the tutorials, they will build up a load of problems for you when you start to transfer that knowledge to the XT. Simply put, I know that Basecamp has a lot of features. I use only a small proportion of them. Why ? Because The Zumos are not interested in most of the features, and they are quite capable of screwing up what is supposedly a perfectly good route, when it is transferred to the Zumo.

What you need to know is how to plan a route in Basecamp that will work with the Zumo XT. For that you need to know a few simple skills in Basecamp. If you can work these out for the Mac, I'll be in a much better position to help you.

1) How to create a new folder and give it a name.
2) How to create a list within that folder and give it a name.
3) How to create a few WayPoints using the Flag tool and name them as you want them.
4) How to create a Route using the your saved Waypoints.
5) How to use the insert tool to add in additional route points to force the route along particular roads.

Beware - there are many helpful videos available. Many of them use terminology which is not very helpful. The term 'Waypoint' for example is often mis-used and when it is, it is extremely confusing.

There are also what appear to be very serious bugs with the Zumo XT software (which I have reported and which have been acknowledged, but not yet fixed).

This is one of my videos - which was done as a series of about 12 to illustrate a document that I produced. This is number 3 in the series, which will show how 3 and 4 from the list above are done on the PC version of Basecamp. If you can get to the point where you can do something similar on the Mac, I can certainly help you from that point on.

It actually points to the 3rd video in a playlist. Don't bother with any others yet. They will confuse you at this stage.

If you want to send private message, that is OK - or if you want to alert me in this thread, then put the @ symbol in front of my name jfheath and it will appear like this @jfheath on the forum - and will also email me to let me know you would like me to read a post. Which is how @SMSW alerted me to the fact that this wasn't just about the Mac and Basecamp.

Hope we can get you moving forward.

To do on the Zumo XT

Can I recommend that you get the latest version of the software for XT loaded ? It is currently on V2.90. (Nov 2020) If you can do it using Garmin Express and USB cable rather than by Wifi (if you have the choice). You will get more of an idea that the software has actually been updated. Each time you get an update, make sure that you turn the XT power OFF - ie hold down the power button - 4 seconds or until the screen asks you if you want to turn it off, and press the red OFF button on the screen. Power it on again, let it start up fully, and then do the same again.

Reason for this is that when testing features in the XT that have not worked properly, they have suddenly started working after a couple of cold restarts (like above).

In the meantime, I'll take a look see if I can find a Mac version of Basecamp to see how that works, so that I know what I am talking about at a later date.
This video did the trick! Just have to ride it now and see if it translates. Cheers all.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
This video did the trick! Just have to ride it now and see if it translates. Cheers all.
Looks like he is using the OS before OS X, almost 20 years old, I wonder if that would add confusion rather than clarify Basecamp for you.

Gerhard

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 R1200RT
OS 10.10.5

The only reason I haven’t upgraded further is because this is the highest OS my version of Adobe Photoshop supports. Adobe wants a monthly subscription which isn’t something I am interested in.

I watched it for a short period and it looked like OS 9 to me but it has been at least 15 years since I used it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
OS 10.10.5
And that explains why Base Camp runs well on your MBA. It's at the bottom of eligibility list for Catalina (10.15) as it and Mojave need more HP than older OSs. A 2013 MBA may not make the cut for Big Sur. Very lightweight apps might run ok.

The OS in that video is a Windows OS, maybe even WinXP. I tend to stay well behind the curve (Sierra) because of software that isn't/won't be updated for newer OSs.

Top Bottom