Basecamp Type App for Tablets and Phones

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
Kevin_56 put me on to this. The app is called Garmin Tread and there is one for Android and one for Apple devices. I downloaded it to my iPad and messed with it a bit. Street detail is shown but other destinations like restaurants, hotels, etc. are not or I don’t know how to cause them to appear. I was able to download a gps trip file from Kevin sent via email and created on Basecamp and open it in Garmin Tread on my iPad. Theoretically, I could then pair my Zumo XT and Bluetooth the route to it. It is specifically designed for the Zumo XT2. Everything is saved on the cloud in your Garmin account if you so choose. It’s all free but even less intuitive than Basecamp for creating a route. This is a quick analysis and greater detail is probably beyond my feeble brain. Have at it and let us know what you think.

Greg

TPadden

Tom Padden
TERRIBLE app, Garmin bought a great android and iPadOS app, UC Public CG ( Ultimate Public Campgrounds), that I use daily on the road, incorporated it into Garmin Tread, and made it virtually unusable.

Tom

Interesting reads...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mondo

Mondo

Site Supporter
Bike
‘22 Moto Guzzi V85TT
TERRIBLE app, Garmin bought a great android and iPadOS app, UC Public CG ( Ultimate Public Campgrounds), that I use daily on the road, incorporated it into Garmin Tread, and made it virtually unusable.

Tom

Interesting reads...

I read recently that Garmin is no longer improving Basecamp. My guess is they plan to no longer support it in the future as the future lies with young uns and their phones. After playing with this one a bit more, I share your frustration. GPS units may soon go the way of the 1100 and 1300.

Greg

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Kurviger is an excellent app for creating a route and exporting it as a GPX file. There's a free version and a "Pro" version. Among other things, the app allows you to set what kind of roads you want included. In other words, motorways, curvy roads, really curvy roads, etc. The difference to me is the free version applies that to the entire route. The Pro version allows you to set each segment of your route to how curvy you want it.

Chris

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just downloaded Treads to play around with it.

Takes a bit to understand how to create a route and it's easy to get confused so they have some work to do there.

I was able to:
TREADS
- create a route
- adjust waypoints/shaping points
- save

ANDROID Tablet
- email the route to myself
- save gpx file
- always use Garmin Drive app to open - Drive opens and states the next time the XT is turned on it imports the route - that does work well.

I do like hou TREADS displays campgrounds and the interface/map is very quick.
Other than that, probably easier to use basecamp to create/edit routes faster. Hopefully they make the app a little more user friendly as it would be nice to use the faster interface of the TREADS vs Basecamp...

I'll keep TREADS loaded for, as Tom stated, to show the campground info and we'll see how / if it improves over time.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I'll put in a plug for Ride With GPS (RWGPS). I've used it for a couple years for planning bicycle routes (which is really what it's aimed at / intended for) but it may fill the bill for moto riding as well. The basic version is free (lets you plan a route) but to actually navigate the route in real time you need to get the Standard level subscription. Over time I've moved up tot he Premium level, to get access to the full feature set.

I forget whether the free version lets you export a route as a file in a format compatible with a traditional GPS (.GPX, .TCX, .FIT, etc) or whether you have to subscribe to get that.

I know it works well as a web app on my desktop PC, and the Android app works on my phone and tablet. Other people I know of have used it extensively on their iPads so I'll take the risk and say it also works on iOS based devices. The website interface does NOT scale down well to phones and tablets, so you'll definitely want the app version for those devices.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
I'll put in a plug for Ride With GPS (RWGPS). I've used it for a couple years for planning bicycle routes (which is really what it's aimed at / intended for) but it may fill the bill for moto riding as well. The basic version is free (lets you plan a route) but to actually navigate the route in real time you need to get the Standard level subscription. Over time I've moved up tot he Premium level, to get access to the full feature set.

I forget whether the free version lets you export a route as a file in a format compatible with a traditional GPS (.GPX, .TCX, .FIT, etc) or whether you have to subscribe to get that.

I know it works well as a web app on my desktop PC, and the Android app works on my phone and tablet. Other people I know of have used it extensively on their iPads so I'll take the risk and say it also works on iOS based devices. The website interface does NOT scale down well to phones and tablets, so you'll definitely want the app version for those devices.
BaseCamp is free, I like free. I think what ever mapping you begin to create routes with will always be your favorite. I remember going from Mapsourse to BaseCamp. There was a learning curve, but not horible. Yes, I am a BaseCamp user.

Top Bottom