Battery Tender ?

Bike
'07STA
STOC #
I used to recharge my bike battery every month and the life got shorter. Only lasted 3 years (OEM) Now I connect my Battery Tender in the fall and disconnect in the spring. My battery is now on its 5th year and still works fine.I PAYED $110 at NAPA AGM

Attachments

Bike
2016 FJR1300 ES
24 hours after my last ride the battery is sitting at 12.3 volts. That's not good. I'll keep monitoring it, but it's starting to look like the battery and not the charger. I haven't had good luck with batteries
12.3 volts when the bike is just sitting with engine off isn't bad - why do you feel this is bad? It's a 12V battery after all. Once engine is running, it will read more like 14V, but that's from the alternator. If you can start the engine with a starter that turns happily, that's a decent load test. If so, I would drop the battery tender and just see how it goes. A bike can sit for quite some time unattended and still be just fine.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
I probably went thru 8 - 10 of the plastic black box maintainers of Sears , Schumacher & other brands . All were actually chinese & they only lasted 1 - 2 years each . Lost at least 2 Goldwing batteries to them, when I thought they were working , but false operation signals …..Only a few years back & I started replacing these cheap , unreliable plastic box ones with the Battery Tender Plus w/ the 10 yr warranty . They have lasted a lot longer so far . I have 6 for different cars , MCs & J.D.
2011 Outback 3.6 original battery still going strong ,, as is battery in Shadow Aero from 2010 ( same battery spec . / # as ST1300 uses )

Last edited:

Alesco

1997 30k mls ;o)
Bike
GL1500, ST 1100,
You can still pop out the caps on a sealed battery. Use a sharp pick to pry up the covers.

If the battery was completely dead, I would say the battery is bad. If the tender was bad, it just wouldn't charge the battery. Try your tender on a known good battery and see what happens.
No one has asked the age of said battery? I find 4-5 yrs even when on a Deltran maintainer is about the norm for gas mat batteries.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
No one has asked the age of said battery? I find 4-5 yrs even when on a Deltran maintainer is about the norm for gas mat batteries.
Read post #14 where thread starter said his battery is 2 yrs old.

I routinely get 6-8 yrs from a motorcycle or car battery. I'm sure our climate has something to do with it where its not scolding hot all the time.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Deltran Battery Tender (do they still make them?) that I bought in 1995 still working fine. I put it on the bike whenever it's going to be sitting more than a week and all winter, of course. Always had at least 8 years out of the standard Yuasa batteries.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Deltran Battery Tender (do they still make them?) that I bought in 1995 still working fine. I put it on the bike whenever it's going to be sitting more than a week and all winter, of course. Always had at least 8 years out of the standard Yuasa batteries.
Been my experience with the Yuasa as well. You get what you pay for;)

Bike
2004 ST1300
Are you sure that's a battery maintainer and not a trickle charger? Those are two different things.
A maintainer should still keep the battery at charge. After a main charge they automatically go to maintenance charge. Mine is a C-Tek Smart charger and that's what it's designed to do.

Top Bottom