Best Heated grips/throttle lock combo...

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I've only had the bike a couple of weeks, but your wisdom and insight had been tremendously beneficial.

I know there are lots of threads about heated grips, and lots about throttle locks. However, I am curious if there is a combination that works best (or is at least compatible).

I've had kuryakyn iso-grips before and like how big they are, but they don't seem to have heated grips like that. The stock grips are painfully tiny!

I also planned on getting a cruise control, but it looks complicated and a bit pricey. My magna of 9 years had s throttle lock and I found it acceptable. I am somewhat able to tinker and install farkles, so that is not a huge issue (assuming this forum offers guidance [emoji4]).

So here are my questions:
1. Which heated grips do you recommend?
1a. Are they compatible with a throttle lock?
2. Which throttle lock do you recommend?
2a. Is it compatible wth heated grips?
3. Is there a compelling reason I should invest in a cruise control?
4. Do you recommend the heated kits that go in the bar and work with any grip?

Thanks for all the help! Doug

Doug

At first I had bmw grips with the foil heated strips installed under them. On this I used a breakaway throttle lock. The lock was great but I felt the grips were not getting hot enough for me.

Then I installed the hondaline grips but the breakaway would not work because of the wires. So I installed a kaoko throttle lock which works just enough to give me relief, but nowhere near the functionality of the breakaway.

Gary

Everyone has a preference, and a lot of this decision depends on the size of your hands and how much tolerance you have for cold. I have been using the BMW grips with Symtec heaters and a Throttlemeister lock on both my 1100 and 1300 for the last 13 years. For simplicity and performance, I haven't seen anything that would work better for me. The Symtec heaters work great, and have provided comfortable and controlled heat with the high and low settings. I find I can ride in very cold weather using only my lightweight leather gloves with the those heaters, and use my heavy heated gloves for extreme cold. The Throttlemeister is not affected by the temperature of the grips and gives me a wide range of locking from a little tension to a full lock up on the throttle.

Throttlemeister will work with a lot of different grips, and for beauty, it does not detract from the bike. Most folks won;t even know it is there. As stealth a throttle lock you can get.

But for all day comfort on rides, a real cruise control is hard to beat. Set it, forget it.

I'm using the Symtec heaters on mine, fit easy under the stock grips.. But like you found the stock grips way to skinny. I tried a few different add-ons to thincken them up, but in the long run, the best and cheapest is wrapping the grip with bicycle handlebar tape.

I am running the BMW standard grips with the symtec warmers. Plenty warm for me. I generally run them on HI at first then turn them down after a few minutes. They allow me to wear my summer weight gloves down to just below 40F without discomfort. At that point I switch to my heated gloves but still use the grip warmers to keep my palms warm. I have to second the statement that you cant beat a true cruise control! I have the old school Audiovox style on my 1100 and it is awesome. The 1100 has a lot more room to hide all the components associated with the Vacuum style CC however I know the newer electronic versions have been used on the 1300's with success. They aren't that expensive (especially when compared to the MC cruise) and you will love the results.

I'm not sure what it is, but I'm not comfortable using the throttlemeister. I've toyed with one before but it was difficult to hold the throttle still with two fingers while at the same time rotating the bar end. Maybe I just lack the coordination. I guess I might get used to it but the Vista cruise control is so easy. On the other hand, the Vista is about the ugliest. The breakaway throttle lock looks nicer, but at $189 that is more expensive than the Rostra at $172 (both on Amazon). Maybe I should just go for it. There are show chrome heated grips that look ok, so I might try them...

If you think you'll keep the bike for awhile and doing some long distance runs (what the ST loves) it is a worthwhile investment to do the cruise control.

The Rostra electronic model is a good choice. Just avoid the Rostra divide by 4 pulse divider if you like to run at slightly over the legal speed limit. But that's another story...

I just bought the Oxford myself, not sure if I have right size or not, got the Adventure as they were a tad longer but can be trimmed down. Also got a Kaoko throttle lock to go with them. Now if I can get the time to put them on. :confused: Will let you know how they go.

I use Oxford grips and a Kaoko throttle lock. Work well together. If I was setting the bike up again I would invest in cruise control. The throttle lock is OK on flat roads with no wind, but the speed variations on an undulating or windy road make you realize how many minute adjustments you make when riding. It still allows me to give my throttle hand a break occasionally though.

I installed the Oxford grips and have a Throttlemeister. I just leave the TM a bit tight and if I let go of the throttle, the bike will slowly decelerate. Works fine for me. I've never had a problem rolling the throttle off when I wanted to, no matter how tight the TM is set.

Note that the Oxford grips are shorter than the standard Honda grips. This may be a problem for you if your hands are big. Do a search for other threads on the Oxford grips. Also note that the different models (Oxford) have different grip patterns and might have different overall lengths. You will need to be sure to get the model that fits your handlebars. My grip controller sits on a bracket that fastens to the clutch reservoir clamps and looks very nice. I have had to turn it up beyond the second LED (40%?).

Remember that grip heaters will not heat the back of your hand, as someone else said, your palms will bake and your knuckles might freeze..... But, they sure are nice....

Will Avon grips fit on the st1300? They have a really nice looking set that are heated, but i can't find out if they fit. I've searched here but haven't uncovered any info...

20150117_104900.jpg
I am using the Oxford heaters touring version and I love them. They heat up very fast don't take much power and work great with my warm and safe gloves. Like someone else said before the back of your hand will get cold so heated gloves in conjunction with the heated grips work the best. As you can see I have a Throttlemeister lock but I have added a rostra cruise and a Goldwing switch set which works seamlessly. I absolutely love it.

Last edited:
I know this thread is a few months old but...
I have the throttlemeister with the Oxford "standard "heated grips and they work flawlessly. Even at full lock,I can still tweak the speed as needed your uphill/downhill or mild traffic. The grips are comfy enough and heat up quickly. They have I think 5 settings. I added grip puppies (foam covers) for added comfort and they work great. I recommend all three. Here is what they look like. This picture is on my cbr600f4i but I removed them and installed on the st1300. No pics yet.

Attachments

• IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 28
Back
Top Bottom