bike cover

Bike
2008 st 1300
does anyone use a bike cover when traveling/camping, any recomendations or they all pretty much the same???? thanks

Bike
ST-1300A '02
I do but I'm over The Pond. No specific make/model recommendations but I would say the following:
  • Generally, you get what you pay for. Cheap is rarely good.
  • Get a lined cover. Unlined ones are often unkind to the plastic/paint.
  • Make SURE that the lower section is heat resistant. Otherwise, the day you put it onto a warm bike, parts of the cover will stay on your exhaust forever.
  • If you go to windy places, rings round the bottom edge are very useful as you can run a cord through them and close up the cover.
  • Get a bag for the cover. They get dirty (being outdoors, duh) and that will go straight into the pannier you put them in.
  • And finally, if you use a disk lock or something similar for security, hitch the cover up so it is visible. Won't stop a determined thief but will often send them on to steal someone else's ride...

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I use a Nelson Rigg as well. I got mine from New Enough. It does have the logo on it and I haven't had any flaking that some people have had. My guess is NR had a bad batch at one point. I have an XL because I have a topbox but I do wish it was just a little bit larger when putting it on. But it has been completely waterproof and it does pack down small. It will fit back in it's own bag and fits in the left glovebox.

Skip

Bike
07 ST1300A
I use a Nelson Rigg half cover. Caught it on sale for $29. Repels water and has a UV protectant. Here in Kentucky on those 98 degree days it keeps the bike from fading and the seat from being hot when you get on the bike. The cover fits up under the headlight and under the passenger oh-**** bars. What i like is you can put it on the bike immediatly with no cool down time. Thumbs up for me!!!

Bike
None For Now
STOC #
I use one from Aerostich. If they have more than one, I don't know which model it is since I've had it long enough to forget which one I ordered.

It's very light, stuffs up into its own attached "stuffsack" which is about 5" thick by 9" long with the cover inside. It's a really neat little package. Takes up next to no room in the topcase. I can put it on the bike in less than a minute and take it off and have it "stuffed" in about the same amount of time. It's also waterproof (tested and verified by me). I wouldn't use it for longterm outdoor storage, but for on the road use, it's perfect.

I agree with the comment about never using one of these when trailering. That would definitely be fun to watch (from a distance) as it went flapping down the highway but you'd never arrive at your destination still in possession of the cover.

Top Bottom