Blimey, no Café 04/18.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I've thought about that. I may look into finding a suitably-sized plug cutter. The one I have now is too big- 1 inch- but if I could find a 1/4" version it might do. I could also use it to cut the plugs themselves, to backfill the holes.
I bought a decent - not fancy - set at Harbor Freight some time ago.
You'll be able to find a set, or the single size you need, I'm sure.
Golf aside, this is a ready-made, built-in, automatic procrastination mechanism.
Whether you meant to, or not.
Does Mrs. Fun have the new machine yet? I'm thinking not, or you'da done tole' us.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
I bought a decent - not fancy - set at Harbor Freight some time ago.
You'll be able to find a set, or the single size you need, I'm sure.
Golf aside, this is a ready-made, built-in, automatic procrastination mechanism.
Whether you meant to, or not.
Does Mrs. Fun have the new machine yet? I'm thinking not, or you'da done tole' us.
It appears Lowe's carries a set of three (1/4, 3/8, 1/2") in stock. I have a 1:50 doctor's appointment this afternoon, so I'll use that and a trip to Lowe's as the excuse / motivation to get out for a final few bicycle miles before I depart tomorrow morning. At this point, with me having a departure date/time of 0700 hours tomorrow morning, it's possible they won't get a real-world test until I get home in two weeks unless it becomes a late-afternoon / evening project today.

It occurs to me that the specified diameters must be the inside dimensions (i.e. the diameter of the finished plugs) and there must be some waste around the outside, so it's possible that I'll need to use the smallest diameter to remove the screws then use a larger diameter to cut the plugs to fill the holes. I'll experiment on some scrap material first, of course, before committing on the final project material.

No machine has yet been purchased, and you're right: when it arrives you'll get the alert. :)

Whisker Bill

(Brian)
Site Supporter
STokes Bay, Ontario & migrating to Florida
Bike
2007 ST1300
Is this a hop on the scale and pay by your weight type of scam? If so I'll pay BEFORE I have multiple cups.

Keith, could you use a dowel cutter that's larger than the screw width? (so you don't hit the screw) - like a tiny deep hole saw.
No fighting with the broken screw as you'd just remove it in the plug.
You'd then have a nice neat hole to glue in a dowel for the new screw to finally rest in.
Couldn’t you drill it larger and use the brass nuts that go in from the other side. Then you use machine screws to fasten it.
WB

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Couldn’t you drill it larger and use the brass nuts that go in from the other side. Then you use machine screws to fasten it.
WB
I doubt it: there are three screws on each end of each hinge, fairly closely-spaced in a triangular pattern. Any threaded fastener that engages screws or bolts from the underside would almost certainly overlap one another, and they'd show when the tabletop is in the folded position. This is what the hinges look like: you can see there's enough room between the screw holes to do what I think you're suggesting.

1713452557001.png

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
So, ...I guess that means haggis is out of the question?
(Not that I would go there, either. I love the Scots, love the accent, but we all draw the line somewhere. Or should.)
I had lunch out yesterday and had the steak and kidney pie where the stewed meat was served in a haggis and black pudding sauce. Blummin lovely. Made me trump though. Parp, Parp. Sorry Ethel. Pffffffftttttt.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
It appears Lowe's carries a set of three (1/4, 3/8, 1/2") in stock.

It occurs to me that the specified diameters must be the inside dimensions (i.e. the diameter of the finished plugs) and there must be some waste around the outside, so it's possible that I'll need to use the smallest diameter to remove the screws then use a larger diameter to cut the plugs to fill the holes. I'll experiment on some scrap material first, of course, before committing on the final project material.
DIY custom sized dowels.... this guy explains and shows it better than I could. You can also use leftover bits of the same wood if you have some.

Experimenting on a non-production unit is always advisable.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Morning Ray & All from a sunny, Southern Utah!

Currently it is 35F, and heading for 70F. A slight breeze now, but later we'll see the winds out of the WNW@12 to 14mph.

I was still recovering yesterday from lack of sleep and that stomach issue of the night before. I feel much better today, so I might get out there and get some more blocks laid down. With Chris leaving tomorrow for her week long Quilt Retreat, I'm sure I'll have to help her get things loaded up in her Highlander. Maybe go fill it up and stuff like that.

We started out the morning with boiled eggs, bacon, toast & OJ to wash it down. Pepsi will be later.

Anyone :bk13:, have a great day on the roads! :hat3:

Top Bottom