BMW 1200 GS as a sport tourer?

I've been riding an R12GS for several years, as well as ST1100 and now ST1300. I agree with everything in that article with the exception of the windscreen. The stock GS is downright scary on the highway around truck traffic. That's correctable with third party components. The upright rider position and long travel suspension make it a very comfortable mount, and once you get over the height it can handle like a bicycle.

I put on about 3000 miles in the Alps in July and about 4000 miles in the US and Canada including one 1000+ mile day in Aug with a 1200GS and am sold that it is a great touring bike.
Larry

Spent time on a GS Adventure. It's hard to argue that a bike that can go 350 miles (ish) between fuel stops isn't a good touring bike.

Mine had a bigger shield, etc, and was a great touring bike.

If you guys compare it to st1300 what are the goods and what are the bads ?
acceleration
speed
ride comfort
weight
mpg
wind protection
maintenance
cornering
breaking

When MCN did a sport touring comparo maybe two years ago, they were testing the Connie14, FJR and K1300 (if memory serves), and the bike they liked best as a sport tourer was the GS they brought along as the pack mule. Neil Johnston (OneWheelDrive) recently reviewed the Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer (a GS competitor) and concluded that it is a great sport tourer. It's on my short list for that very purpose. The industry calls that class Adventure Tourers so it makes sense that they'd be good touring bikes. It would be nice if they weren't so freaking TALL, said the short skinny dude.

Back
Top Bottom