BMW spoke issues.

Bike
VStrom 650
Just read this, it maybe of use to any readers with spoked BMW's, definitely a concern on UK bikes don't know if US bikes are part of the fix.
While each case will be considered on individual merit, wheels with seven or more loose spokes will be replaced with a new wheel under warranty. But some BMW owners whose bike hasn’t been serviced since the campaign was issued may be unaware of the problem. In that instance, we would urge all owners of bikes built within the affected period to have their bike checked immediately.
There has not been a recall issued, but BMW have told MCN that they consulted the DVSA over the issue, and that no recall was issued “as the potential issue is not safety critical,” adding: “BMW knows of no accident or catastrophic wheel failure caused by loose spokes.”
There have been some cases reported on social media and forums, ranging from loose spokes to claims of wheel failures, but BMW add: “A loose spoke, or number of loose spokes, may translate to a change in ride noticeable to a rider.
Upt'North.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
hmmm, how could the possibility of loose spokes on a spoked wheel be news to anyone that has been around motorcycles for more than a few years. Especially on an Adventure type bike.Spokes flex and become loose. Always have, always will. Don't BMW's have tightening nipples either on the hub end or rim end? I still have my spoke wrenches in my tool box. from the 70's lol.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
hmmm, how could the possibility of loose spokes on a spoked wheel be news to anyone that has been around motorcycles for more than a few years. Especially on an Adventure type bike.Spokes flex and become loose. Always have, always will. Don't BMW's have tightening nipples either on the hub end or rim end? I still have my spoke wrenches in my tool box. from the 70's lol.
This issue has been reported for about a year and it's on new bikes, not bikes ridden long enough to need a wheel tuned. BMW has been quietly replacing wheels to address the issue. While spokes certainly work loose you would think a factory trained BMW technician would check them when prepping a new bike for delivery.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Replacing the entire wheel instead of tightening the spokes ? Hmm - cheaper than the labor to tune the rim ? Lack of skilled wheel builders ? Or is there some inherent problem with said wheels that BMW is not sharing with its customers? Ach du lieber !

Bike
R1200rt
Its has to be more than a loose spoke. Wrong diameter of spoke, poor spoke material or the spoke might be pulling thru the wheel, something is bad!:mytruck:

Bike
2007 ST 1300
I have just read the two articles linked in the above posts . One of them contained a photo of the front wheel of one of the bikes in question . Unless I am not seeing clearly , I cannot believe anyone would engineer a wire wheel in this fashion. It appears to me that the spokes on each side lie in near parallel planes instead of converging towards each other at the rim - no triangulation to take up side thrust
loads . Please tell me this is an illusion and I am not seeing it properly.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I have just read the two articles linked in the above posts . One of them contained a photo of the front wheel of one of the bikes in question . Unless I am not seeing clearly , I cannot believe anyone would engineer a wire wheel in this fashion. It appears to me that the spokes on each side lie in near parallel planes instead of converging towards each other at the rim - no triangulation to take up side thrust
BMW has a history of being behind the curve on wheel technology. They were very late in adopting tubeless rims, and when they finally did those 'snowflake' wheels seemed to bend at the slightest impact. So it seems like yet another chapter in that continuing story.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Like Ferret eluded too, why are a few loose spokes news?
That'll be why then.
You do wonder why a manufacture of "Adventure Motorcycles", whatever they are, can get some things so wrong. I'm not Knockin B'mer they do what they do well, but why consistently shoot yourself in the foot?
If spending £5k on an Enfield Himalaya a fault or two wouldn't be too bad, but £20k?
Upt'North.

Bike
2007 ST 1300
Well it seems I was not seeing it properly- it now appears the spokes cross over each other from side to side - that ends my theory as to why they are failing . Looks like $ 1, 600 for a back wheel if you can find one - half the the price of a good ST 1300 ?

Top Bottom