BMW stop sale of all new models dating 9/18/23?

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a buzz concerning BMW dealers being advised they cannot sell new bikes and used models of late model bikes because of some emissions issue. This will be nothing but a rumor or a potentially really big problem for BMW. I guess we will know more in a few days.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Seems ridiculous to me. If there's no NHTSA order, then it's just a BMW publicity stunt. No reason any issue can't be handled as a recall, should there be a legitimate concern.... like has been done forever. Certainly will get everyone talking though........

Bike
2003 ST1300
STOC #
Seems ridiculous to me. If there's no NHTSA order, then it's just a BMW publicity stunt. No reason any issue can't be handled as a recall, should there be a legitimate concern.... like has been done forever. Certainly will get everyone talking though........

No. A TSB which would cover a non-safety issue is not the same as a recall.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well. that might put an x mark on the release of the new R1300GS in 8 days.... oh wait, they sort of did a soft release yesterday, with the photo of the bike covered in water splash....

Oddly enough the BMW press release page also has a section about how they calculate CO2 emissions.....

CO2 emission information.
Fuel consumption, CO2 emission figures and power consumption were measured using the methods required according to Regulation VO (EC) 2007/715 as amended. They refer to vehicles on the automotive market in Germany. For ranges, the NEDC figures take into account differences in the selected wheel and tyre size, while the WLTP figures take into account the effects of any optional equipment.

All figures are already calculated on the basis of the new WLTP test cycle. NEDC values listed have been calculated back to the NEDC measurement procedure where applicable. WLTP values are used as a basis for the definition of taxes and other vehicle-related levies that are (also) based on CO2 emissions and, where applicable, for the purposes of vehicle- specific subsidies. Further information on the WLTP and NEDC measurement procedures is also available at bmw.de/wltp.

For further details of the official fuel consumption figures and official specific CO2 emissions of new cars, please refer to the following web site www.dat.de.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Reminds me a lot of the Harley Davidson situation when they stopped selling bikes because their brake pad vendor had issues with certification of their products and safety compliance documentation.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Probably something to do with that Kymco acquisition back in April. ;)
Rumor... myth... joke.
That was actually an April Fools joke on the BMW forum. I think I remember reading that 4-5 months ago. (Kymco absorbs BMW motorcycle division)
Though BMW did contract to have Kymco build a few engines for them and is a partner in the BMW i3 electric car power system as of 10 years ago and made engines for a few of the BMW super scooters. I haven't heard but wouldn't be surprised to learn Kymco is involved in some parts of the BMW electric bike production as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom