Boots Boots For Short Guys

OP
OP
Jammin'John
No money for that right now. Seat Boots Lights Windshield Highway Pegs Siren ? !
Can short guys look over the shield when it's down and when it's part way up ?
They are taking forever to get my bike here from Texas. Their window of delivery was 12/9 to 12/20. They say it won't even be here next week ! *****

JJ

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
A couple of guys have had their bikes professionally lowered and have said they noticed no handling differences.
Steering response depends on fork angle. If you lower only the rear, the fork angle decreases, and steering slows.

I take "professionally lowered" to mean equal lowering front and rear, which means maintaining the fork angle.

Bike
2010 ST1300
No money for that right now. Seat Boots Lights Windshield Highway Pegs Siren ? !
Can short guys look over the shield when it's down and when it's part way up ?
They are taking forever to get my bike here from Texas. Their window of delivery was 12/9 to 12/20. They say it won't even be here next week ! *****
I'm just a bit under 5'7", with a 29" inseam (in theory - I really think its closer to 28). I look through the windshield, most of the time (I raise it for speeds over 50-55). Lowered, it is just below my line of sight and this is a taller CalSci windshield. Not sure, but I think I installed it in the lowered position.

OP
OP
Jammin'John
Do you have a tracking number? It would be nice to know where it is.
No,they don't work like that. I called and she said it wasn't even to PA. Since 12/11 from Texas.
She said it won't even be here next week ! ***** !
So I'm at a loss on seat and windshield height and highway pegs. I don't know where I sit on the bike seat nor if I touch the ground easily or if I can look over the windshield.
I also have a tire I saved from my dead Stratoliner that I don't know if it would fit or lower the bike.
A 200/55 R17 M/C 78V ME888 Marathon Ultra.

JJ

OP
OP
Jammin'John
I'm just a bit under 5'7", with a 29" inseam (in theory - I really think its closer to 28). I look through the windshield, most of the time (I raise it for speeds over 50-55). Lowered, it is just below my line of sight and this is a taller CalSci windshield. Not sure, but I think I installed it in the lowered position.
I want to get the Rifle one but I want to mostly look over it. They say that it works the best all the way down to part way up. I would like to see over it when it's part way up.
I wonder if it would clear those mirror mounts. It seems so.
In the lowest position our windshield system's three sizes are: same height as stock, 2 inches taller, and 4 inches taller. Width: From same as stock at widest point to 7" wider at the top. We can also build custom sizes, higher or lower.

"T" Tinted Shield - Down​

"T" Tinted Shield - Middle​

"T" Tinted Shield - Up​

JJ

Bike
2010 ST1300
I want to get the Rifle one but I want to mostly look over it. They say that it works the best all the way down to part way up. I would like to see over it when it's part way up.
I wonder if it would clear those mirror mounts. It seems so.
Calsci's website advised this: Put your bike on the center stand on a flat, level surface. Measure or pace off about 30 to 50' in front of the bike. Mark that location (if you use a high denomination $ bill, you won't lose sight of that spot, guaranteed). Go back to the bike, sit on it in your usual riding position, and with the windshield lowered, hold (or have someone hold) a ruler up over the center of the windshield - 0 is at the top of the shield, 12" is up. Look directly at your mark on the ground and then back at the ruler. What is the mark? Another way to do this is to put the ruler with 0 up, and slide it downward until the top of the ruler is now right on your line of sight (easier with a helper). Read off the measurement. Is your line of sight 3" above the top of the windshield? (example).

Now go to the specs for your proposed new windshield. See how tall it is, and if it has the lower 'wings' like the OEM, find out if their measurement is an overall height. Compare that to your OEM shield, and you will see if you are looking over the new one or through it. This way you can answer your own questions.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Pro tip. If the top of any windshield is level to the top of your upper lip then you will see over it and your line of sight across the top edge will intersect with the ground 25 to 30 feet in front of the bike. This works no matter what your height is.

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
Hi folks,I'm John and I'm short.

5' 7" 27" inseam 190 #'s.

My bike,2016 ST1300PAG is tall. I can't lower it so I'm gonna put a seat on it and less preload on the shock.

I'm looking at boots now. I checked into elevator shoes but nobody made durable boots.

I'm leaning toward Logger or Lineman boots.

Do any of you have any experience with them ?

JJ
Timberland pros. I have a 29” inseam and had the oem saddle. The soles are thicker and slip proof. A really good boot. About $150(?) on amazon. They are heavy but on the bike, it doesnt matter.
recently changed to a corbin saddle and im pretty sure i lowered at least an inch.
If u kep your eye out here and watch the sales, hell post a wanted, you might stumble into someone here that has a goosd seat. Happened to me!

OP
OP
Jammin'John
Thanks SMSW. dduelin, and mmmsted.
I'm still looking @ Logger/Lineman boots.

.1609367643051.png
The handlebars are higher and further back than stock.
Gotta see if a siren is legal. It's not. I got these black bars for christmas.

Gonna get a Laam seat.

JJ1609368764830.png

Last edited:
Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
These are the only HD items of gear that I own. And,, I have to admit that Harley makes great boots. After 2 and a bit seasons,,, they are still in great shape,,, with just a regular polish once or twice a season. Note the thick rubber soles make my short legs all the longer. I had to wait for my size to be stocked in brown. And if I remember correctly they went on winter pricing at about $150.us. Cheers,, and happy new years,,, CAt'

Top Bottom