Boots Boots Resoled ?

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I have a pair of TCX boots that are getting pretty worn in the sole, the upper is fine.
Been seeing this ad in magazines, and wondering if it would be worthwhile?

Has anyone had experience in resoling bike boots ?
Was it worth it, and how well did they hold up after ?
Thanks....

Bike
VStrom 650
Larry, I can't comment on that company....for obvious reasons......but I did have a pair of Altbergs done at the factory last year, I think it was about £80.00. Great job and my old boots are like new, they're probably 15 to 20 years old and feel like an old pair of slippers hence why I had them done. Smell like it too.....
But I also bought a pair of TCX Gortex Tour on sale at less than £100.00. Also great boots and will last for years but it'll take a while to break them in.
If I was you I would study the sale sites, it might be cheaper to get a new pair. Although I'm glad I had the Altbergs done because comfort on a long trip takes some beating.
It sounds a bit like I'm sitting on the fence.
Upt'North.

Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
Larry, I can't comment on that company....for obvious reasons......but I did have a pair of Altbergs done at the factory last year, I think it was about £80.00. Great job and my old boots are like new, they're probably 15 to 20 years old and feel like an old pair of slippers hence why I had them done. Smell like it too.....
But I also bought a pair of TCX Gortex Tour on sale at less than £100.00. Also great boots and will last for years but it'll take a while to break them in.
If I was you I would study the sale sites, it might be cheaper to get a new pair. Although I'm glad I had the Altbergs done because comfort on a long trip takes some beating.
It sounds a bit like I'm sitting on the fence.
Upt'North.
May all the fence splinters go the other way!!

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I've had a pair of Sidi boots resoled because they were no longer made and they were very comfortable.
Don't remember the name of the boots but the resole was money well spent.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I've had a couple of pairs of BMW boots resoled by a local shoemaker - I was quite happy with the work done, and the boots perform as if they were new.

Bike
2005 BMW RT
Larry I had my TXC resoled by a local shoe maker and was very happy. Boots were in great shape but smooth soles. I had him add a sole with more tread which gave me better contact with the ground. Having a wide foot I was concerned about the currant TXC boot which isn't listed as wide.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I had a pair of Italian leather motorcycle boots (Giudici) resoled by a local shoemaker. I think it cost about $50, which was much cheaper than replacing the boots. The soles lasted me another two riding seasons before I replaced the boots, with wear still left on the soles. So, money well spent AFAIC.

Bike
2010 ST1300
I your boots' soles are sewn to the uppers through a welt (the stitching part around the perimeter of the boot) then any competent shoe repair shop should be able to do a good job. In my experience, its best to ask friends for a referral - as with all things, some shoe repair shops are great, some not so great. If there is no sewn welt, it will be up to the repair man - cheaper boots have a sole that is glued on rather than sewn, or worse yet, molded to the upper and the shoe is essentially one piece.

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
I your boots' soles are sewn to the uppers through a welt (the stitching part around the perimeter of the boot) then any competent shoe repair shop should be able to do a good job. In my experience, its best to ask friends for a referral - as with all things, some shoe repair shops are great, some not so great. If there is no sewn welt, it will be up to the repair man - cheaper boots have a sole that is glued on rather than sewn, or worse yet, molded to the upper and the shoe is essentially one piece.
Not only cheaper boots have the glued on sole or sole molded to the upper shoe.
The sewn in soles to the uppers are called a Goodyear welt.
Any competent shoemaker can resole a Goodyear welt.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
......<snip>but I did have a pair of Altbergs done at the factory last year, I think it was about £80.00. Great job and my old boots are like new, they're probably 15 to 20 years old and feel like an old pair of slippers hence why I had them done. Smell like it too..... <>snip>. Although I'm glad I had the Altbergs done because comfort on a long trip takes some beating....
Upt'North.
...Me too! Excellent boots....

OP
OP
larryg

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Have a look at this thread- Resole America
Old thread but they are still in business- Resole America website.
Thanks Andrew, but I just shipped my boots off to mxbootrepair in CA this morning.
They're more expensive than Resole Am, ($120 + shipping, one way).
But I like the boots so decided to go with them.
Will post results when I get them back.
Thanks again to all who responded.......

fnmag

R.I.P. - 2020
Rest In Peace
Bike
'06 ST1300/Burgmn400
Thanks Andrew, but I just shipped my boots off to mxbootrepair in CA this morning.
They're more expensive than Resole Am, ($120 + shipping, one way).
But I like the boots so decided to go with them.
Will post results when I get them back.
Thanks again to all who responded.......
Looking forward to the results.
It's hard to part with a good pair of boots. Same with gloves.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I know you have already made your choice, but when I had my Sidi boots resoled about five or so rears ago, I went into Columbia, SC and found a real store that did resoling and shoe work. I spoke to the owner (it was an interesting shop, like what I remember from many years ago) and we talked about the soles, that the boots were designed to ride in rain and based on the information he gave me and his basic responses, I had the work done there. The work was done as expected and the boots did not leak. I still have them as a back up pair (they are not over 12 years old). So, if I had to do my new boots, I'd try to find him. He may not be there but I'd still try. Having the work done right by someone I can actually talk to is important. May not be able to do the same thing today but I'd still try.

I have a pair of TCX boots that are getting pretty worn in the sole, the upper is fine.
Been seeing this ad in magazines, and wondering if it would be worthwhile?

Has anyone had experience in resoling bike boots ?
Was it worth it, and how well did they hold up after ?
Thanks....
I have a pair of boots that are on their third set of soles.
It costs about half of what new one would and Imdont have to break in new boots.
That being said I keep my boot well, and use kiwi polish on them at least once a month so the uppers are in very good shape.

Top Bottom