Brake Disk Mount Bolts

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
I know the maintenance manual says to replace them when you take them out but, I screwed up and installed the disks without the shims underneath on the front wheel. The wheel doesn't even have a tire on it yet.
I noticed that there was a green band of what I assume is some kind of thread locker on the bolts. Ya'll think I'd be OK pulling the bolts out then reinstalling them with some additional thread locker on them?

I think you would be OK if you redo ,I think the green is a medium strength loctite so it can be taken apart if needed. IMHO !

:slv13: MIKE

I've re-used caliper bolts before with no problems. Some loc-tight and the proper torque will have you on the road again.

I haven't replaced them yet. Just put a little thread sealer on them and use a torque wrench. I posted the same question a while back and had one warning of a bolt breaking despite using a torque wrench. I think he had 50-60K miles on the bike when the bolt broke. So i might be worth keeping a spare in your toolbox, just in case.

Had the discs off multiple times, 4 in all, same bolts everytime just clean the threads and add new loctite, dont add loctite to locktite never a good idea in my book, and then no problems.

I've re-used caliper bolts before with no problems. Some loc-tight and the proper torque will have you on the road again.

+1 Mike is referring to the 6 bolts that secure each brake disk to the wheel, but the same logic should apply as it does to caliper bolts. If I read his post correctly, I'm left with the impression the disc bolts have already been replaced, and Mike is concerned about having to replace them again before the wheel is even reinstalled -- personally, I wouldn't bother, add a bit of loc-tite and go for it.

:tools1:

Don

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like you've stressed those bolts or put them through any heat cycles yet. It's very unlikely that they would have stretched any, if at all, to the point that you'll screw up your torque value.

Back
Top Bottom