Brake fluid leak?

I spotted a small, oily looking puddle under the left brake caliper for the second time in a week. Checking under the bike, I see a small part, attached to the left fork, with 3 brake lines leading to the left caliper that is covered in oil/brake fluid.
Checking the left fork, it appears oily too. So, at this point, I am not sure if I have a brake fluid leak, or a seal leak on the fork.
What is this item with the 3 brake lines? Is it known for failing? Is it covered under warranty? Are fork seals covered under warranty? My bike is a -05, with 20,400 miles on it.

Last year I had a leak on the left front caliper at the line that activates the rear brake. Took it to the dealer and it was repaired under a recall. The bike was an '04 with 70K on it. Not sure if they rebuilt or replaced the caliper but the brakes felt much better.

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
The part you asked about sounds like part of the ABS. I don't have ABS so I am just guessing.

Depending on when your 05 was purchased you are close to being out of warranty so I would get it to the dealer as soon as possible. If you have the extended warranty you should be good.

I was told years ago that Honda didn't cover fork seals. That may have changed.

I would wipe the fork leg clean and spray it with some athletes foot powder or some such to try and find where it is leaking. If you find where it is leaking for sure you may help the dealer get the bike back to you faster.:03biker:

Boo

Bike
2006 ST1300
I spotted a small, oily looking puddle under the left brake caliper for the second time in a week. Checking under the bike, I see a small part, attached to the left fork, with 3 brake lines leading to the left caliper that is covered in oil/brake fluid.
Checking the left fork, it appears oily too. So, at this point, I am not sure if I have a brake fluid leak, or a seal leak on the fork.
What is this item with the 3 brake lines? Is it known for failing? Is it covered under warranty? Are fork seals covered under warranty? My bike is a -05, with 20,400 miles on it.
I have the same thing going on as you. I noticed it while purging the clutch fluid. If you have any oil on your slider, the you have a seal problem. nine out of ten times if a seal is leaking there is a defect with the slider and honda won't cover it. [ mine has a small ding] If you had a small leak in your brakes system then eventually the brakes would get spongy from the introduction of air. I have been communicating with Jeff Bertrand and feel confident in changing them myself, thanks to his tutoring. Oh my bike had 3500 miles on it when the leak was discovered.

Bike
2010 VFR1200FD
STOC #
Same problem here small puddle under left caliber and quite a bit of fluid on left fork tube guess I get to replace the fork seal... any advice for first timer I have service manual and will order parts tomorrow...

Keith

Top Bottom