brake help needed

Bike
97 ST1100
My 97 ST needs both front and rear pads,I have not worked on a bike at all as far as brakes.I have no manual so can anyone tell me how difficult of a task it is, or if any special tools are needed.it sounds like the pads will cost about $40/caliper and they want 40/50 for labor. (or is there anyone around Akron that has the know how and would be willing to help me install them)

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I think I paid about $37 +shipping for mine recently; so that is not a horrible price. That labor charge looks very reasonable from what I've seen posted here recently...

Or; you can do the job with the tools in your stock OEM tool kit.
Here is a place with good information; Michael Martin's pages.

When I did mine I pulled the front wheel (torque wrench needed to re-install of course...) and had no problem getting them replaced.

The rear wheel is not hard either... and it'll give you a chance to inspect your splines and reapply Moly 60 paste.

Mark

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
BILL - You can change the rear ones without removing the wheel. Never tried it on the front ones, but it is easy enough to remove the right caliper with the front wheel on. You just need a regular screw driver (fairly large tip) to remove the cap screw that holds the pin in place. Then a hex key (I can't remember the size, I think it may be a 5 mm) or a socket with a hex key in it (like Sears sells). Remove the lock screw, remove the pin and the pads basically fall out. The biggest challenge is getting the pistons pushed back into the caliper. Best to take an old toothbrush and clean up the sides before pushing them back in with a clamp, screw driver, wrench, pliers or whatever else works for you. A good pair of channel locks usually works if you can't do it by hand. Hope that helps.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
Good advice, so far.

I changed my fronts recently and didn't take the wheel off (per the shop manual). It worked just fine. I knew my pistons were mostly clean, I just bought some brake chemical at the dollar store and sprayed the beejeepers out of them before I pushed them in. I used the same screwdriver that I used to take the plug off the pin. GENTLY!

I'm going to suggest that you buy a shop manual. Less than $40 on E Bay and Amazon, it's the best money you can spend on your MC after gas:)

Mac is going to be with in a thousand miles soon, maybe he'll help you with your brakes?
George too, now that I think about it...

OP
OP
wgward84
Bike
97 ST1100
Thanks for the input guys,I ended up taking the bike to All Seasons Honda,got a set of new tires and brakes all around out the door for $390 which I think was great deal,I even got to test ride the 1400 concours while the work was done.I have to say it was a NICE bike but my ST has a lot of life left in her.

Bike
ST1100
That screw that covers the pad pin is always a tight booger, use the biggest screwdriver you have in that slot, else it tears. Pouring a few cups of hot water carefuly over the local area will help to loosen it. If all else & I mean all else, fails, use a centrepunch to carefuly drive it round to start. Don't be tempted to over tighten it when you put it back in.
Once you have this out, there's about ten minutes work to remove the old pads, copper slip & replace the new pads.
If your pistons don't slide back in by finger pressure, there is a case to look at the caliper as well, cleaning & possibly seal replacement. At this point you need friends of substance.
Once done, after the first time, this is a pleasant little way to spend a half hour out on the garage doing men things & saving your self money. :D

Top Bottom