Brake refresh

I just finished a brake refresh on my 93 ST1100-ABS. Weekend before last I installed new EBC sintered pads on both ends along with new Avon Storm IIs, plugs and a carb sync.

Yesterday I replaced the front Master Cylinder with a new one and installed Galfer SS front brake lines. I bought the brake lines from CA Sport Touring. At first glance they don't look like they will fit. I finally realized that they replace the stock manifold and crossover tube with two lines coming directly from ABS modulator. It would have been nice had some directions pointed this out.

Anyway, everything went smoothly until it was time to attach the lower hoses to the ABS modulator. Stock, it only uses one hose and a short banjo bolt. The Galfer set-up attaches both the left and right caliper hoses at that point with a double length banjo bolt. This wouldn’t be a problem but there is a fairing support frame fairly close to the top of the modulator. There is just enough room to make you think you can do it without did-assembling the top half of the fairing.

I tried and tried for an hour but there just wasn’t enough room for both hands. I could hold the hoses at the right angle or I turn the bolt but not both at the same time. Frustrated, I finally took a break to do an errand for my wife. I tried again when I got back and it went in the first try! Bleeding went smoothly with a combination of a vacuum bleeder and old fashioned pump and hold.

The new brakes feel great! I should have put the SS lines years ago.

EB-Larry

Back
Top Bottom